Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zig2be

zig2be

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

When I start up my HP Pavillion 553x desktop, I get a black screen first with a message to choose what operating system I would like to use. And they are both the same.
XP Professional Version 2002 so I always choose the 1st one.

How to I get rid of this and why are there 2 of the same operating systems on my computer? I should only have 1 am I correct?

If someone could help me with this problem as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it because I think I have more problems than this but want to do this one step at a time.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

Just edit the boot.ini file and delete the line with the invalid os.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Boot into the install that you want to keep...and then try Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm .

I suggest that you try to boot into each apparent install...and examine each carefully before making your decision.

Sometimes...attempted installs are reflected on the boot.ini file, giving the illusion that there are two installs when there is actually only one working install.

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Edit: Hamluis got here quicker.

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2011 - 01:19 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 zig2be

zig2be
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Thank you so much for your quick response and help. It worked!! Problem #1 down. I may post another topic as I go along to getting this computer working the way it should be.
Many Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users