Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5850 Display Driver not Respondong! Need some expert advice please!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 -YY-

-YY-

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hi guys.

In September i bought an Alienware m15x Laptop as i was going away to university and wanted a portable gaming rig. The laptop kicks a$$. It blows most games away! However recently one thing has been driving me insane: "ATI display driver has stopped responding and has successfully recovered". The screen flashes black for a second or two then recovers.

System specs:
Windows 7 home premium 64Bit
i7 CPU Q740@1.73GHz Quad Core
3.00GB Ram
1GB 5850mobility (DDR5)

Some background info:
1) Only ever happens while surfing the web or idle on desktop.
2) Mabye once a week ill get a complete system crash while wathcing video on youtube or playing music - Results in red coloured lines across screen or BSOD. (Power button is only way to stop red lines)
3) It has never bothered me during gaming. Not had one crash!
4)I have done alot of research and have found a supposed fix: (posted on erodev.com)

"""""
HERE's THE FINAL FIX :

I found that it was a combination of 2 problems for me.
1.My mobo not setting my ram voltage correctly on auto mode. ( your ram timings will affect how your card works )
2.The 5870 was having problems with Win 7's power management. ( ati card's idle at low speeds to save energy + win7 power management fail ) essentially on win7 the cards needs a bump in voltage and frequency.

Steps:
1.Set your ram timings / voltage on your mobo manually and make sure it's set correctly.
2.Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles
And unzip the ATTACHED file there ( it is a .xml catalyst control profile file which changes your gpu clock to 600mhz when it would usually idle at 157MHZ + plus have bumped the voltage values a bit)
Then go to Catalyst Control Center and Activate the Final Values profile there."""""

I couldnt do this fix because:
1) I dont know how to set my mobo's settings manually. Ima bit of a noob
2) For some reason i couldnt activate the profile in CCC. When i unzipped the profile into the correct folder and went into CCC it wasnt there to activate. So i dont know.

Through my research and this "fix" I have come to the conclusion that somehow the computer is not getting enough voltage when idle. So my question to you guys is,

What are the procedures to safely up my voltage until my system becomes stable??

Regards and thank you
yy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Memory timings are set in the BIOS which is accessed as the computer first starts up usually by hitting delete or the F2 key. WARNING>>>>incorrectly setting the memory timings could cause your system to not boot or damage your memory!!!!!!!<<<<<<<<<

For the CCC profile you will need to go the the CCC panel first and go to the profiles tab. create a new profile with the same exact name of the profile to be copied and save the profile. Now go to the profile folder and copy the zipped profile over the existing one. Then you can go back to the CCC panel and select the profile.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users