Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

I have a friend who had another telephone line added for her computer, and she would like to be able to use her laptop in several locations in the house where there are no existing phone jacks. Rather than run new lines to these locations, I was wondering just how inexspensively could I install a wireless router. The house is only 1,100 square feet.

Would I need anything other than a router and a laptop adaptor?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:46 AM

I don't think so. Make sure to encrypt the network and show her how to forward ports and all that good stuff.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:57 AM

Is this new phone line analog or DSL? If it's DSL that's a reasonable idea - connect the DSL modem to the "Interenet" port on a wireless router and (after configuration) add a wireless NIC to the laptop and away you go.
If her ISP account is for Dial-Up then I'm not sure you would be able to find a wireless router old enough to support that! I could be wrong though. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:52 AM

Thanks for the response guys.

Rimmer...That is exactly what I needed to know, and yes, it is a snailophone line connection. Tonight I have a wopping 24Kbps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:04 AM

I just found out that a router doesn't work on an analogue dial up connection, which means that I can't use a router. All that's available in the area is either dial up phone connection, or very, very exspensive satelitte connection.

If you guys don't hear from me after tonight it will be because I'm stuck under my girlfriends house after trying to install new telelphone jacks. This willingness to do this job must be lust/love motivated, because this is the type of work I will not do for my clients. :thumbsup:

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:47 PM

Rimmer I had a thought....I know, but no jokes please. Connect the desktop to the POTS and use two wireless NICs in "adhock" mode to connect the two computer. Use ICS on the notebook to "connect to the internet thru another computer" and piggy back off the destops connection. As long as no one is using the desktop, there should be little drop off, right?
OKKK. Option 2. There is a device that you plug in to a power socket. One at the POTS jack and one where you want the telephone. It send the POTS signal over the power line, I think. I used one 20 years ago, although I was not impressed.
Anyways...
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:58 PM

Hi acklan...unfortunately the only computer in her house is her laptop, and the only options for hooking up to the ISP is the snailophone dial up, a very exspensive satellite system, and two tin cans and monofilament fishing line...see how advance we are in the hills. :thumbsup:

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

I feel your pain brother :thumbsup: . Check out the local paper. A P-I 233 with 98 would be all you need. Should be able to find one for $20 or so. Get an old pair of 802.11a cards for now. $10+- each. That is the solution on the cheap.

http://stores.ebay.com/BargainWorks

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

Connect the desktop to the POTS and use two wireless NICs in "adhock" mode to connect the two computer. Use ICS on the notebook to "connect to the internet thru another computer" and piggy back off the destops connection.

- Never tried that but of course that's exactly how the original dial-up internet access was shared in the home, only in this example using a wireless LAN rather than a wired one. Great idea! :thumbsup: There would be no delays introduced because the dial-up speed is so far below wireless network speeds and internal data transfer speeds the network will spend almost the entire time waiting for the modem.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

I purpose the question to the god "Google" and he spoke.. WiFi Dialup

Go figure.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:57 PM

Thanks...you guys are tenacious in your pursuit of information, to say I'm impressed is an understatement!

Acklan...I had started thinking about this last night, and couldn't believe I had an idea for a marketable product that wasn't being made, alas as you have proven it exists.

The bad news is that I installed four new phone jacks in the locations that she wanted with dual T modular jacks so she can plug in her laptop and/or phone at her convenience. The good news is I've done a major "honey do", and can reap the various rewards.

I'm sure that I'll be able to put this technology to use in the future as there aren't many options in this area, and I have clients that are always looking for the "elegant solution", and this most certainly fits that description.

Thank you guys, you are the most.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:21 AM

Well to little to later. But bookmark the site because this question comes up quite regularly.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by acklan, 12 December 2005 - 02:15 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:14 AM

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users