Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for a program to bring back system to earliear point

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tester2

tester2

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:09 PM

hi guys i am looking for a program , which can bring back my Win 7 & Win XP system to earliear point. I tried RestoreIT which is not working as i like. So i am looking for some other program, if any body know which is good i will give a try.

my aim is like this. After format my computer i will install windows 7 or win xp on PC and all of my use necessery programs like Adobe reader & yahoo messener etc as of Jan-31-2011. After this i want to install a program like this which can put a check point perminently on Jan-31-2011 upto diskspace use 25 GB for example.

There after i keep on doing my work on this pc over a year till Jan-31-2012, at this time my computer infected by many viruses & childrens games and disk space use upto 100 GB.

Now i decided to go back to a ckeck point on Jan-31-2011 in the month of Feb-01-2012, which can bring back the system at 25 GB space used and all unnecessery programs should be removed.

So i like to know to achive this task which program i have to use, because i no need to format my computer every time to rebuild from the begining.

so can any body let me know which program i have to use.

thanks for your answers

Edited by tester2, 15 January 2011 - 12:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

I've basically done what you want to do. A fresh install, and all my drivers and my main programs installed. I then made a backup. To restore from the back up takes about 10mins, which is a hell of a lot quicker than re-installing windows from fresh.

This is what i use......

http://download.cnet.com/Paragon-Backup-amp-Recovery-Free-Advanced-Edition/3000-2242_4-10972187.html

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

It has long been my belief that EVERYONE who uses a computer should use disk imaging software on a regular basis. The best of breed is Acronis True Image, but it is not free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#4 tester2

tester2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

It has long been my belief that EVERYONE who uses a computer should use disk imaging software on a regular basis. The best of breed is Acronis True Image, but it is not free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

i want to buy this software please give me a full name of this program, if this program is work as i like.

because i hate to rebuild pc every time when ever crach. because i have to install so many programs plus o/s, which takes lot of time.

because i already tried restoreit which is not working as i like. this restoreit always creating new check point and deleting my old check point. so this program is not working as i like.

so i want to give a try to another program which can perform my task.

And i don't want to make a copy of back up Disc. Just i like to go back to my working check point.

thanks

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Disk Imaging utilities take a "snapshot" of your drive(s). You can save them to a hd (internal or external) or removable media. You can restore the image at any time in the future, essentially returning your system to that earlier date. I always have two or three recent images of the system (and other) drive on all of my systems saved to external hd's.

#6 tester2

tester2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Disk Imaging utilities take a "snapshot" of your drive(s). You can save them to a hd (internal or external) or removable media. You can restore the image at any time in the future, essentially returning your system to that earlier date. I always have two or three recent images of the system (and other) drive on all of my systems saved to external hd's.

thanks a lot, i will give a try, hope this program will achive mt task and save lot of time to rebuild system again and again.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

I failed to mention that you can also restore individual files or folders as well as the entire drive.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:55 PM

To OP: What are you going to do...when a hard drive/file system malfunction renders that program...useless?

If it's a Windows-based program, how will it run if Windows is not capable of being accessed?

Cloning the hard drive seems the way to go, IMO. Hard drives are dirt cheap and ultra-large...in fact, a duplicate hard drive costs less than many a program these days.

Louis

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

To OP: What are you going to do...when a hard drive/file system malfunction renders that program...useless?

If it's a Windows-based program, how will it run if Windows is not capable of being accessed?

Cloning the hard drive seems the way to go, IMO. Hard drives are dirt cheap and ultra-large...in fact, a duplicate hard drive costs less than many a program these days.

Louis

You do not need access to Windows. You boot to the app disk (or one created by you) and restore at boot. Disk Imaging software is essentially faultless.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I wasn't referring to Acronis...but to any program that is installed which sets/restores Windows to an earlier condition...as originally stated by the OP.

Louis

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

Okay. Just wanted to avoid confusion for me, the OP, or anyone else reading this post. Thanks :)

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

If you have a Seagate/Maxtor or Western Digital drive, each manufacturer makes a feature limited version of Acronis True Image available for free:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

These are what I use, as I have both brands in my systems. Experience has shown Seagate DiskWizard sometimes doesn't recognise a Maxtor.

The free applications will clone drives (including other brands as long as one of the correct brand is present in the system) and create and restore images. Backup and restore of individual files isn't supported.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users