Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones sound far away

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

I have the following headphones with an in-line Mic hooked up directly (no extensions or splitters) to my PC through a regular headphone port:
http://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Earphones-Microphone-iPhone-Compatible/dp/B002RWJDB6/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1295108697&sr=1-2

Using these headphones it sounds like the sound is far away. It is clear, and I am not sure quiet is the right term but it is distinctively like I am very far from the sound. This is very bad because I also notice that when listening to music the instrument sounds tend to drown out any lyrics or voice so I can't use these to listen to movies because all I hear is the background noise.

My PC Sound hardware is an Asus M4A785TD-EVO with VIA Audio as the driver.

I should note the comparison I am using is that when I use the regular iPod Earbuds (with or without mic, I have both) the sound plays fine. However they suck.

Edited by bigalexe, 15 January 2011 - 11:32 AM.

AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

Well...how do these items sound when using system speakers...or attaching the headphones to the speaker port, rather than that for headphones?

That should make it easy to pinpoint the problem.

Louis

#3 brodie1600

brodie1600

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

"Sounds" like a problem with the headphones themselves, or the jack when they're connected to your computer.

I suggest trying what the previous poster suggested. Perhaps if you plug the jack into another headphone jack (if there's another one located on your computer) or into external speakers, it could solve the problem. If you don't have either, make sure the jack is connected completely (as in, push the jack as far as it could go into the input).

If it still doesn't fix the problem, I suggest purchasing new headphones, for I doubt it has anything to do with your sound card if your iPod headphones work just fine.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

One other suggestion\poss ability.

Does your PC have two sound outputs? One on the front of the case and the other on the rear?

Many mobos and\or sound devices do not support both ports. If two ports do exist then try plugging the headphones into the other port.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users