Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Past Black Screen w/ Blinking Cursor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hey guys..I'm back again, unfortunately on the family PC this time because my laptop is infected :(

Late last night I was watching a video and all of a sudden Microsoft Security Essentials popped up saying I had to trojans, right as I was going to clean them up my laptop just shut off and began to restart. It goes past the initial Toshiba start up screen and after that goes to a black screen w/ a blink cursor in the top left corner and then just sits.

I tried using a cd that I burned a Windows 7 recovery disk to but it comes up with the message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard dive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

My current job/source of income relies on me having my laptop..so if you can help that'd be great! THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUSTJRDN

JUSTJRDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

So I burned the recovery disk with a different program and am now able to get into the System Recovery Options. From there I can't figure out what to do and apparently there are no previous restore points. Also, Startup Repair does nothing for me..

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hello,

I've reported this topic to those that deal with these issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,228 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Select the Command prompt in the Repair Console and run the following command:

CHKDSK /R

Restart the computer.

If unsuccessful, lets first see if we have access to the hard drive throughout an external environment.

If the computer can boot from a USB drive, follow these steps:

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Next download http://noahdfear.net/downloads/driver.sh to your USB
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer. Some computers have the option to press a key such as, F12 or the Esc key to load a boot menu and choose to boot from the USB
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Remove the USB drive and insert back in your working computer and navigate to report.txt

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive
Copy and paste the report.txt for my review

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Hello, I have moved this here to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,228 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users