Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound and Video Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hdefined

hdefined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

I am running Windows 7 64 bit and recently got a new Dell laptop from their XPS series (I've gone to Dell with this question, but they've been no help and just recommended I get an external sound card).

I compose music and noticed after a couple weeks that the audio would make a soft popping noise every minute or so when running composition programs, most noticeably when running Propellerhead Reason. But then I noticed that even when not running a program, the sound would make a "silent" popping noise, kind of like when your computer turns on but you have sound disabled, and yet you still hear the speakers turn on. That kind of noise happens regularly, and I can't determine what's causing it.

I thought it was only a sound problem, but I hadn't been running video. I started watching video files both in VLC player and Windows Media Player, and the video pauses every minute or so. The sound hiccups for a second and then continues, but the video doesn't recover for 5 to 10 seconds.

I heard this video problem could also be related to the sound problem, but I don't know. I've tried restoring Windows to an earlier state, no change. I've tried installing drivers on Dell's site, and the problem only gets worse. I've done several virus checks and so on, the computer's clean. I've disabled several startup programs. I don't know what's causing the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

I don't know how to tie the video and audio problems together. Especially given Dell's response, I would have assumed that your onboard sound was picking up noise from the bus -- you might notice that you get buzzes or pops when your computer accesses the hard drive, etc. An external sound card would be the best way to solve this, and very good USB sound "cards" can be had for under $30.

But, I don't know if this is related to your video problem.

#3 hdefined

hdefined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:12 AM

I don't know how to tie the video and audio problems together. Especially given Dell's response, I would have assumed that your onboard sound was picking up noise from the bus -- you might notice that you get buzzes or pops when your computer accesses the hard drive, etc. An external sound card would be the best way to solve this, and very good USB sound "cards" can be had for under $30.

But, I don't know if this is related to your video problem.

I appreciate that suggestion. Yes, it seems to correspond to when the computer is trying to do some task. That's also when video freezes. Could it be that the sound card is also causing some complication with the video? Or that a disruption to the audio in a video also disrupts the video?

And also, should the computer be "running" like this every minute or so? Even when I'm not doing anything, it goes through this cycle about once a minute, which is when the popping occurs.

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Yes, your computer is doing lots of stuff in the background, even when you're not at the keyboard. That's normal. You can always bring up the Task Manager and take a look.

As far as the video goes, I'm afraid I don't have any experience with that. (My onboard audio, however, has always picked up buzzes and and other noises from the bus.)

#5 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

My name is Debbie.

You will have to know what software or processes are running on the background in order to find out what is causing the popping noise if it comes from the speakers. Many of the websites are nowadays using background processes (called AJAX technology) while we are browsing, that may cause an occasional clicking sound. It should not be harmful if it is the site's background activities are causing it.
But there are some things you can do to try and isolate its cause.

First of all, I would want to rule out the most obvious: sounds coming through the speaker. Turn the volume control all the way off or disable the audio system by going to the Sounds control that is part of the Control Panel. If the noise stops, then you would seem to have either a failing sound system, a problem with the connection to the speaker which is causing a click or a program that is generating a click. But none of these sounds will come through if the sound system is turned off.

Now, assuming the sound continues: I would think there are a few other possibilities.

1) The fan could be clicking/popping. This is one of the few moving parts of the computer (along with the hard disk drive and the CD or DVD drive). A failing fan could make noise. Put your ear to the output of the fan and try and determine if the sound comes from there.

2) And now the hard disks drive. In most laptops, the location of the hard disk drive is obvious. Find the hard disk drive and put your ear to it to try and determine if it is the source.
Now: if you think the sound is in fact coming from the hard disk drive, kindly run the Dell Diagnostics.

In Order to Run the Dell Diagnostics, kindly click on the below mentioned URL to get the instructions on How to run the PSA Diagnostics , and an Error Code list with Possible solutions:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_14B3819735D6B40EE0401E0A55177ED2&isLegacy=true#HDD

3) The last step I can recommend to you is that kindly go ahead and update the Audio driver of your computer by going to this URL:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection (You will need to enter your Service Tag before you can see the list of drivers for your computer. ~ OB)

4) If still nothing works out I would recommend you to back up your data and then restore your system back to the factory settings. In order to restore the system back to the factory settings, kindly go through the URL which would explain you the step by step process with the snapshots:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Please reply in case you have any questions.
Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:08 PM.
Replaced short links with actual, and removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users