Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed Boosters?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

Is there really a good tool to boost your internet speed(I have LAN),or is this a myth and not possible? I was searching for a legitimate program that really works,but found mostly bogus downloads loaded with malware,I checked them out and didn't download any.
TCP Optimizer looks like a legitimate program,but I think it is only for broadband,not sure it applies to me.
I had TZ connection Booster years ago,seemed ok and no malware in it.
Am I looking for the "Tooth Fairy"?
Anyone use something that really works well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

No such thing.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

You would absolutely be better off just performing routine computer maintenance than adding the extra gunk to your hard drive of any booster application, since they generally do little or nothing to improve internet speed.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

OK

#5 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:28 AM

You would absolutely be better off just performing routine computer maintenance than adding the extra gunk to your hard drive of any booster application, since they generally do little or nothing to improve internet speed.

I use Defrag, Disk cleanup, Checkdisk, ATF and been using MSE for security. What other recommendations? I think TCP optimizer just makes it easier to manipulate certain settings? But are there settings we could change that would improve are connection speed.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:31 AM

I use Defrag, Disk cleanup, Checkdisk, ATF and been using MSE for security. What other recommendations? I think TCP optimizer just makes it easier to manipulate certain settings? But are there settings we could change that would improve are connection speed.

All very nice, but nothing will effect connection speed.

#7 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

All very nice, but nothing will effect connection speed.

Maybe connection speed is the wrong term I am looking for. Besides the other things I mentioned any other suggestions?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

First of all, you are hijacking the thread. If you have a specific question and are not here to respond to the Original Poster you should start your own thread. Second, it's unclear what you are looking for. When you do start a thread perhaps you can be clear in your explanation of what you want to accomplish.

#9 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

First of all, you are hijacking the thread. If you have a specific question and are not here to respond to the Original Poster you should start your own thread. Second, it's unclear what you are looking for. When you do start a thread perhaps you can be clear in your explanation of what you want to accomplish.

i
Many of my comments and the items I use were directed toward the helping the OP. My questions are very on topic with the OP and we seem to have the same question so instead of starting a new thread that has the same info as this on will of course I will join in the discussion. Based on your replies to the OP you are not trying to help much.

#10 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

Well I was dubious about internet speed boosters because I couldn't really see how altering settings in my computer can make my internet provider's internet speed any faster. But I thought that possibly by tweaking my computer I may be able to help it connect to the internet faster.
And as a warning there IS malware in many of these "Miracle" products,of course!
Like sometimes IE or Firefox come up almost instantly,and other times after changes in the computer one or both of them have been very slow to connect.
So anyways that's why I ask the experts(You guys) for your opinion so I don't waste my time on phony products,or pursue something that isn't possible.

#11 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

Well I was dubious about internet speed boosters because I couldn't really see how altering settings in my computer can make my internet provider's internet speed any faster. But I thought that possibly by tweaking my computer I may be able to help it connect to the internet faster.
And as a warning there IS malware in many of these "Miracle" products,of course!
Like sometimes IE or Firefox come up almost instantly,and other times after changes in the computer one or both of them have been very slow to connect.
So anyways that's why I ask the experts(You guys) for your opinion so I don't waste my time on phony products,or pursue something that isn't possible.

I would recommend the things I mentioned earlier. As general maintenance. I am sure there is more available then just those. And the things that something like TCP optimizer change is beyond my skill. I am sure someone around here could help you with those settings.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

Many\most programs that promise to speed up your PC are snake oil = worthless.

The same can be said about those that promise to speed up your Internet connection. Two separate yet related issues.

There are mixed reviews on TCP Optimizer. Some say they have noticed gains after much experimentation and settings changes. Others have had no difference or actually slowed their connection. Still others have totally hosed their connection.

Many times Internet connection speed is more dependent on your ISP and level of service package you have with them then anything that is tweakable on your PC.

Other factors to take into account. Amount of hops\servers any given connection you are making has to go through. Over all line condition your connections are passing through. Distance between you and the server(s) you are connecting to.

#13 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Actually I'm satisfied with my internet speed,I have the cheaper,slower option,fine for me.
I did test(At some risk,I had to kill and remove some malware immediately after download)a couple of Internet Speed Boosters to satisfy my curiosity and then tested my internet speed,they made no difference or were slower. Snake oil...

A habit I have though is that when my computer is running particularly good,I make a System Restore point and note that in my log,so I can go back there if I want.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

A habit I have though is that when my computer is running particularly good,I make a System Restore point and note that in my log,so I can go back there if I want.

Not a bad habit to get into at all.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

No such thing.

Actually you are quite mistaken with that assessment. Verizon FiOS requires you to run a TCP Optimizer to get the most out of your computer and internet connection. Without running the tool, I can testify that the connection is degraded, but after running the tool they provide the connection stabilizes, and you get what you are paying for. I subscribe to 45Megabit up and down, and before the tool gets run, my connections is like slow and I get mixed results. Now before you say that it all depends on the server you are connecting too and time of day, I will tell you that my connection speed is consistent throughout the US to various servers from ones within a 50 mile radius to ones clear in Hawaii.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users