Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 install on Gateway

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

I just added another HD to my Gateway model FX 400X computer and installed Windows 7 on it. This computer has the on-board sond, which works fine in XP. But Widows 7 shows the audio as: HIGH DEFENITION AUDIO DEVICE.
But I get no sound.

So I figured this is easy, all I have to do is to go to the Gateway site and download the driver for Windows 7. They show a whole list of names of audio devices and drivers. But how do I know which one is in my machine? When I contacted Gateway they wanted to charge me a minimum of $129.00 just to give me that info.

First, I'll never buy another Gateway computer as long as I live.
Second, I installed Belarc Adisor, hoping it would give me the name of the sound system. But all I got was the same: High Definition Audio device. So now I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Did you install chipset driver?
http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2660

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Broni. No I did not install a chip set driver, as everything else seems to work just fine. so far. But on the Website I noticed that one driver is for a Sigmatel high definition audio device. So I assume mine must be a Sigmatel. But the driver instructions say that it is for Widows Vista. So I'm wondering if this would work on Windows 7 too?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Well, it depends what you have there. You can try Download Hardware Vendor Detection Utility on that page.
Windows 7 is available from drop-down menu (top-right).
Installing chipset driver is crucial.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Broni, I did just that. but it didn't list any vendor names at all, and only found one video item that I don't need in the first place. So I still go by the assumption that I must have a Sigmatel sound system, that needs a Windows 7 driver.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

Download System Information for Windows: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to your Desktop.
Get SIW Standalone (English-Only).
Double click on siw.exe to run the program.
Go File>Create Report File>HTML
Save the file to known location.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

My Website

#7 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Broni,Just in case you are wondering why you haven't heard from me, besides having the flu and a severe cold at the same time, a friend of mine gave me the simple solution to my problem. And all works well now. In case someone has the same problem thy can just message me for the simple solution.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Would you please be so kind as to post the solution so that others can read it?

The purpose of these forums is to share information like this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

No problem at all BC Advisor. The simple solution is to just download, and install the VISTA drivers, from the Gateway site.

I'm kind of surprised that nobody in this forum suggested that. It would have saved me at least 4-5 hours. But maybe I'm just the first person that ran into this problem. Never the less, I got some good info. from Broni's posts too.
Thanks again Broni.

Edited by Chris4835, 19 January 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users