Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a legit source of mp3s

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Regicide

Regicide

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Yes, the topic pretty much describes itself. Additional information: I live in Canada, so Rhapsody isn't available to me. I have tried eMusic and it failed. Do I really have to pay .99 per song?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

If you're looking for popular music by well-known artists, probably yes.

I was a big fan of Amiestreet.com -- most songs started out free and increased in price as downloads increased. They didn't carry many popular artists. About a year ago they started adding popular artists -- but at the same price as the majors. Then, last fall, they were taken over by Amazon and shut down. So, I'm guessing this business model doesn't pay off.

Still, you might find something you like at one of the free netlabels. My favorites include the Kahvi Collective and Jamendo -- they both offer several genres. Others, like Earth Mantra specialize in ambient and electronic.

You might also check the live music archive at the Internet Archive -- many popular and commercially successful artists permit live shows to be recorded and posted for fans. (The Archive is scrupulous about making sure these recordings are legal.)

Good luck!

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

if u always have internet access u could probably use last.fm.com it is live steaming of music and has everything!

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:06 AM

I used to be a big fan of Last.fm several years ago. Back then they had a very large selection of free downloads to help get out the word on new or under-represented artists. That pretty much stopped when they got bought out by CBS. But, if you're interested in streaming it's one potential site. If that's the case you might also look into Deezer.com.

Edited by Capn Easy, 18 January 2011 - 02:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users