Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp freeze

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Funtikar

Funtikar

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:06 AM

I have an old laptop with 10gb hdd with sngle ntfs but recently my window xp will freeze after 20 seconds arriving to desktop. I'm suspecting it's related to an error to the hdd. This is because windows will not freeze when i boot into safe mode with command prompt and at this mode the hdd doesnt blink too much but whenever i launch explorer.exe or any program that cause the hdd blink too much will cause windows to freeze. Another proof is i checked the event viewer and it showed 'atapi error did not respond within..'(i cant remember it). I ran chkdsk and it did show some error ,i tried the /f switch but it wont happen because that's the system partition and its being used. My question is are there any fix to this? Rite now i'm trying to make a usb bootable windows xp recovery console but i dont know how.(cddrive is not usable,floppydrive still working)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

What manufacturer and model...for this "old laptop"?

How much RAM installed?

How large is C: partition? How much free space on C:?

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

Boot to the XP cd and choose the first repair option. That will take you to the recovery console. Once there, run chkdsk /r - let it complete.

#4 Funtikar

Funtikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Acer travelmate 212T(210 series).10gb IBM hdd,free space is around 800mb,128mb ram

Acer travelmate 212T(210 series).10gb IBM hdd,free space is around 800mb,128mb ram

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

System reflects a very small C: partition (I suggest one twice that size), insufficient free space for Windows to function effectively (I'd suggest something in the neighborhood of 15% of your C: partition)...and a minimal amount of RAM.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/TravelMate210/TravelMate210sp4.shtml

System was designed for Win 9x.

I'm not surprised that you have problems with the specs that I see.

Louis

#6 Funtikar

Funtikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Do you mean it doesnt have anything to do with bad sector or error? And i should free up some space? Come to think of it i didn't have any problems handling lots of file and big files using ntfs-3g with a liveusb linux

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Boot to the XP cd and choose the first repair option. That will take you to the recovery console. Once there, run chkdsk /r - let it complete.

#8 Funtikar

Funtikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

What is the additional freespace is used for?is it only for virtual memory or there are other things?

#9 Funtikar

Funtikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I managed to delete some files with command prompt but still windows is freezing. I forgot to tell that sometimes it goes BSOD with c5 too

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

You might take a look at some of the posts Here .

I have run XP with approximately 15% free space with no recognizable problems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2011 - 08:30 AM.

#11 Funtikar

Funtikar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Forgot to tell you that i freed up to about 25 % but it still happens.

#12 David-WI

David-WI

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

After the check disk...consider doing a Defrag.

I recently had problems with my Desktop...checked for Defrag...was 27% fragmented. After the Defrag...ran OK for about 2 hrs then still had problems.

Reinstalled XP...then checked again...was 14% fragmented...so I did it again....with noticeable improvement.

I haven't downloaded Java or Adobe Flash Player yet though....which ALL the websites want you to have so they can shove advertisements in your face.

Edited by David-WI, 16 January 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

1) It appears he has no intention of following my suggestion.
2) Defrag has nothing to do with anything.

#14 David-WI

David-WI

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:43 PM

I'm sure you have more experience than I do Allan...but what I'm saying is what worked for me when I started having problems. The check disk came back clean for me before the 1st defrag.

No disrespect meant...

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

And absolutely none taken - just saying that defragging a hd is nice to do (I do it weekly on all drives on all systems), but it's HIGHLY unlikely it would have anything to do with the issue here. On the other hand, there's certainly no harm in trying :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users