Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HELP] Event ID 51 & 9 after Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Moon013

Moon013

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

Help! I have been getting these errors:

Event ID 9
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

Event ID 51
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

+Random Freezes occur

I have been getting these months ago, and I decided to reformat my computer and reinstalled Windows OS.
It is all fine though, and I begun to update my OS and save restore points prior to that. I have successfully updated 3 segments of Windows Updates. Along the way, I have unsucessfully updated "Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)".
When I finished updating my 4th Windows Update, the above starts to appear. I can't pinpoint which update had caused it as it is downloaded not as a single entity but rather like a bundle.

I am considering System Restore back to the point before I downloaded the 4th bundle of Windows update. However, that would mean missing important updates by Windows.

I am using Windows XP Home 2002 Service Pack 2.
I refused to upgraded to 3 as that wont help with my problem as that is the case before the reformatting.

Any ideas solutions or suggestions that could help me out of this situation? Had been researching on the net but somehow I could not pinpoint the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:07 AM

As of this last July Microsoft no longer support Windows XP if it doesn't have SP3.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

Okay....But if I upgraded to Service pack 3, I will still go through the same situation...

#4 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:10 AM

have a look in your devices manager.
system>Hardware>devicemanager(right click view hidden)
Any reds/yellows.
if any right click (properties) on them any either roll back or troubleshoot

#5 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:19 AM

Everything is working fine. No red/yellow warning signs.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

Okay....But if I upgraded to Service pack 3, I will still go through the same situation...

SP3 is an accumulation of updates which may save you a lot of time doing the individual updates.

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online with the computer Speccy was run on.

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#8 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

This is my specifications:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Cv7lTGY0W1NfIkIiaY7lTSN

Between, I had used system restore and have thought I had solved the problem. But I was wrong...
After installing various programs, I started to feel the random freezes. And I see these in my event viewer:

-> Event ID 7 The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
-> Event ID 9 The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout period.

I thus proceed to use CHKDSK. Took about 4 hours, and I again checked my event viewer again. I feel random freezes + I see these:

Event Id 7 The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.
Event Id 26 - The driver has detected that device \Device\Ide\IdePort1 has old or out-of-date firmware.
Reduced performance may result.

I had a feeling my hard disk is gone.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

When you post the error IDs please include the Source.

This looks like a custom built machine. Do you have the XP Home installation CD?

If you do, run sfc /scannow.

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter.

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Edited by dc3, 16 January 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#10 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:50 AM

I did it as I was told. But unfortunately I still feel freezes.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

Go to the Seagate web site and download and run their diagnostic tool. If there is a choice between a short or long test choose the long test.

#12 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

I did the Long Drive Self Test. When its done, my drive status is Long DST - Done.
I had checked and been informed my hard disk has passed the test...
I was hoping for a failure though. At least that points out to what needs to be done..

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

I would make sure that your cables are fastened securely to the hard drive and motherboard, and I would make sure that your drivers are updated and I stress upgrading to SP3.

#14 Moon013

Moon013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

I would make sure that your cables are fastened securely to the hard drive and motherboard, and I would make sure that your drivers are updated and I stress upgrading to SP3.

I had even changed the cable and now installing SP3. I doubt it will have any effect though as I had this problem firstly on SP3, until I reformat my computer.

And I also wish to note that when I am doing the Long Drive Self Test using SeeTools for Windows, the random freezes is more rampant. And that continues even I abort the test. The only solution is to restart my computer.

Edited by Moon013, 21 January 2011 - 02:32 AM.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:16 AM

Can you do the SeaTools Test without being in windows, or have you already done that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users