Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compaq presario v2000 No recording device found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

I have windows 7 on compaq presario v2000 laptop. I want to use audacity to record some music from the internet, but when I click on it, it says 'No recording device found'. This is strange, cause I thought the sound card would be what audacity uses to record from, and I dont know what else a recording device would be. Besides on another laptop, a dell inspiron 2200 which has windows xp, everything works fine.

So why is not working on the compaq presrio v2000? I can listen to audio just fine, but I cannot record it.

Help!!!

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2011 - 06:42 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Software, Audio & Video.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

It's...not that simple.

What format is this music that you want to record...being streamed in? What website is the source?

I don't use Audacity, but I've played with it a couple of times...but I was never interested in recording, only the mixing/editing of music files I have on hand. Try reviewing the instructions for using it to record.

As for music via the Internet...I download .flv files from YouTube. Then I must either use a player for that format to enjoy the downloaded video...or I can convert the .flv file to a different format. I convert them to .mp3 files, I'm not interested in the visuals.

What I'm getting at...you cannot record music that you hear on your system...just because you can hear it when on the Internet.

As for recording from the soundcard...yes, that can happen. But only if you provide an input via either the microphone or the external input connection. For example...I can use one of CD players and connect to an amplifier...and pass that signal into my computer via the soundcard...and record the music from the CD.

If we can figure out what you are trying to do, you can probably get instructions on how to do it.

Louis

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

With Windows XP most sound card drivers offered the ability to record directly from the sound card using "Stereo Mix" or "Wave Out." Many (most?) Vista and Windows 7 sound cards have had that functionality disabled or removed.*

If the Stereo Mix/Wave Out is unavailable your best option is probably going to be a patch cable that connects the "line out" or "headphone" port to the "line in" port, adjusting the volume, and using "line in" as your source. This will probably add a little noise to the recording, since you'll be processing both output and input in your card.

* I'm not an authority, but I have heard from several sources that this was done deliberately. If so it's a shame, since (as far as I know) it's still legal to record an audio stream -- there are no DRM issues with an analog audio stream. I use this method to record streams from my local NPR station (I'm a member) -- if and when I have to leave XP I will have to go back to using cassettes. :angry:

Edited by Capn Easy, 16 January 2011 - 01:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users