Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU Usage by NT Kernel & System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nealrm

nealrm

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

i have a Dell inspiron 1520 laptop with windows 7 32-bit operating system

All my drivers are currently up to date and i've run various virus/malware/rootkit scans and checks

I have been having problems with high cpu usage (up to 100%) that the Resource monitor attributes to the NT Kernel & System process
the problem went a way for a few months but came back recently

i have found no definitive answer for problem tho it appears to be relatively common

i found a program called LatencyMon which lists drivers and associated ISR and DPC counts (i've also tried using xperf but dont really know what i'm doing)

This program identified the following drivers to be an issue with the associated counts after i ran the monitor for 46 seconds

Driver: ISR count: / DPC count:
afd.sys 0 / 1657
ataport.sys 88147 / 93321
dxgkrnl.sys 96598 / 0
ndis.sys 0 / 43460
NETIO.sys 0 / 5283
ntkrnlpa.exe 0 / 235298
nvlddmkm.sys 0 / 108744
tcpip.sys 0 / 8218
USBPORT.sys 8933 / 22167

Edited by nealrm, 15 January 2011 - 01:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:15 AM

Welcome to bc. What are your specs? Exactly what virus scans are you running? You are only supposed to use one.

I just had a similar issue, here is the thread if you want to give it a read and try out what I was told: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373266.html

#3 nealrm

nealrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

I use Trend micro but i've done other one time scans with various things to check for specific problems.

as far as specs....
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2GHz
4Gig RAM
Geforce 8600M GT card
7200 rpm hard drive at 300gigs storage with ~60 gigs free and constantly defragmented

what else?

the Windows services have also been trimmed but i went with the "Safe" recommendation for what to turn off and usually even then set things to manual rather than disabled

I've read that some people have this problem with the "powermizer" feature of some geforce cards but do not know if my card has that or how i could turn it off in windows 7

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

when you look at task manager or process explorer what is hogging the most cpu?

#5 nealrm

nealrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

Like i said its usually the thing labled Image:System Description:NT Kernel & System

also in services the nmservice described as Pure Networks Platform Service and Superfetch will occasionally spike

the problem is worse when on the internet or playing games

Disabling Superfetch appears to make little or no difference same with nmservice

Edited by nealrm, 15 January 2011 - 06:37 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,166 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

Ok, I removed those posts,I saw no malware there. Just what looked like a Slimware Registry cleaner perhaps and 3 Toolbars you may want to remove.
Toolbar: Trend Micro Toolbar
Toolbar: TMBGBAR TOOLBAR
Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

Try removing any add-ons in Internet Explorer. With IE open...Tools/Manage Add-ons.

I don't know what it is...but I would also remove Slimware Utilities, if installed.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#8 nealrm

nealrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

This seems to have moved away from the actual problem to a rant on annoying toolbars and registry cleaners.... either way neither of these is likely to cause the problem since they werent installed when my computer was doing the same thing several months ago

I also ran a system files check and no problems were found with the built in windows 7 utility for this

Edited by nealrm, 16 January 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Well...maybe we don't understand what "the issue" is as you see it.

Please reiterate, so that commentators can refocus...thanks :).

Louis

#10 nealrm

nealrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

The system process described as NT Kernel and System is using very high amounts of cpu when the computer is busy with other tasks or idle, also in services IP helper, BFE, and RPCEPTMapper seem to use unusually high resources every now and then

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Can you post a screenshot from Task Manager which reflects this high usage?

Louis

#12 nealrm

nealrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

I didnt catch it quite on the peak but you get the idea...Attached File  screenshot.jpg   52.29KB   9 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users