Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D:/ not accessible - Incorrect Function

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 undergrad

undergrad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Hi,

I can't transfer pictures,vids,or music files to any Maxwell CD-R cd. I was simply trying to drag and drop. I keep getting "D:/ not accessible - Incorrect Function".

I have tried right clicking on D:/ and selecting properties to find enable recording or enable burning, but I don't seem to have any of those options. The cd is listed as having zero used space and free space (under properties). There's no indication of any problems under device manager. I'm able to play other cds such as games and music just fine on this drive.

I hope I can find a solution because my computer keeps alerting me that my disk space is very low. :wink:

Btw, I have a Dell 3100 Dimension Desktop and use Windows XP.

Edited by undergrad, 15 January 2011 - 01:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Have you checked your Start menu for disk buring software like Nero or Easy CD Creator? If they are there use them to burn the files. They use easy to follow wizards.

XP comes with built in software to create data CD-R's. Select the files you want to add to the CD, right click, and send to the CD-R. Keep adding files till you are ready to burn the CD. Keep in mind a CD only holds 700MB. Then go to my computer select(single click) the CD drive. On the right side of the window find the option to write these files to a disk.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 undergrad

undergrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

Hi,

I don't have Nero or Easy Cd Creator. When I right click on a pic or vid, the only option I see under "send to" are compressed zip folder,desktop (create shortcut), mail recipient, musicmatch burner plus, and my documents. I don't see send to CD-R. I also just tried selecting move to folder and selecting CD Drive (D:) under Edit, but that didn't work.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

Try Imgburn, it's freeware and quite popular with members here.

Edit: How large is you hdd? How much free space do you have.

You can find this information by going to My Computer and hold your pointer over you hdd.

Edited by dc3, 17 January 2011 - 11:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Did you ever have Nero installed?

Its been years since Ive seen this. Last time it was directly related to InCD which is part of Nero.
Double check you add/remove progrms list for InCD and if it is present uninstall it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 undergrad

undergrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

You can find this information by going to My Computer and hold your pointer over you hdd.

Hi, I tried downloading Imgburn but I do not have enough space. My total size is 71.4 GB and free space is 28.6 MB. I'm assuming 71.4 GB is very low? I have removed programs I felt I didn't need. I don't even have that many added programs on my computer.
Janet

#7 undergrad

undergrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Did you ever have Nero installed?

Its been years since Ive seen this. Last time it was directly related to InCD which is part of Nero.
Double check you add/remove progrms list for InCD and if it is present uninstall it.

Hi, I have no idea if I ever had Nero installed. I don't recall ever using Nero. Incd or Nero isn't presently listed in add/remove programs list.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hi, I tried downloading Imgburn but I do not have enough space. My total size is 71.4 GB and free space is 28.6 MB. I'm assuming 71.4 GB is very low?

For practical purposes let's round off the size of your hdd to 80GB. A hdd of this size needs around 15% swap space (free space), that means 12GB in this case. You only have 26.8MB.

This may not be all of your problems, but it most certainly is one that need to be addressed. I would suggest that you remove a large portion of the data on this hdd to a removable storage device, like another hdd or flash drives.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Edited by dc3, 17 January 2011 - 09:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 undergrad

undergrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

Sorry for such a late reply.
I have a Dell 3100 Dimension Desktop and use Windows XP. I have deleted a lot of programs I know I don't need but I'm scared to remove programs that potentially may disrupt my computer since I'm not sure of their function. Most of the files on my computer are family pictures that I want to save on CDs but I will spend a day going through my files again and deleting as much unneeded files as possible. I'm not sure how to transfer my files if my computer won't let me. Does it have anything to do with my CDs being CD-R?
What are flash drives?

Janet : )

Edited by undergrad, 31 January 2011 - 02:05 AM.

#10 undergrad

undergrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:38 AM

I was finally able to use ImgBurn. It really helped me transfer files to Cds.Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users