Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Extensa 4420 CD drive does not read

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

Have acer extensa 4420 laptop. The computer works fine, and the CD/DVD drive opens and shuts properly. If I put a CD in there, you can hear the noise that the CD drive would normally make when the disc begins to spin. However the drive does not read the disc, and I dont know whether it is because of a bad disk drive or corrupt driver. I thought that if a disk drive was bad then the light on the drive would keep flashing continuously even after the disc stopped spinning, but that isnt happening here; the light goes on, the disc starts spinning and then when the disk stops spinning the light goes out.

What do you guys think would make the disk drive work properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

What have you tried to resolve this problem?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

So far I havent tried anything. Im afraid that if I download the driver from the acer site, it may not be the right one, because that did happen once with another computer. If there is nothing else I can do, then I guess I will have to try that. But is there maybe some hardware issue inside, like maybe it doesnt make a good connection with the motherboard, or maybe osmething like a dirty lens (although it looks clean)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:46 AM

The first thing to try is to go into the Device Manager and uninstall the drive and then restart the computer. If there is a bad driver, this will replace it.

If this doesn't work, we will go from there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

While I was waiting I tried that, but I just get a message saying the best driver for your device is already installed'. Then I uninstalled the dvd device and then did scan for hardware changes, and it said device driver installing, after which came another message 'device driver not installed successfully'. The device is optiarc dvd rw ad-7560A ATA Device'

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

Is this drive recognized in My Computer?

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

No, thats the thing and in Device manage it had a yellow exclamation mark next to the dvd drive.

I was looking on the internet and I found a solution. It had to do with the upper and lower filters, I deleted them in the registry and then rebooted and now everything works fine. Thanks for working with me on this problem, because knowing that someone else is trying to solve my problem gives me the persistence and also do some research on my own.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:36 AM

That was the next step, glad you found it. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users