Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

I have a HP mini tower 3ghz intel processor, with 3.25 gigs of ram, upgraded graphics card, one 80 gig WD hard drive and a second Tera byte hard drive.

I have been having problems with it freezing up on average five minutes after logging on, the cursor still moves and every menu I open stays frozen on the screen and eventually no menus will open, Control Alt Delete does not work at this point. The only way I can get it back to working is to kill the power reboot and quickly have Avast do a boot scan before it freezes up. It will work after this for on average for a day before it freezes again.

I have ran regular scans with avast, AVG, Trojan remover and Maleware Bytes. I have ran scans in safe mode with avast, and maleware bytes in safe mode and of course the boot scan with avast. The boot scan found a few corrupted files which I removed, didn't help.
I also ran a pc cleanup program by PC Tools it cleaned the usual stuff and registry. My PC starts and runs quickly thanks to this but it still freezes up.

If you need more info let me know.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

it cleaned the usual stuff and registry

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

=================================================================================================

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

I made the changes in msconfig and restarted my computer in normal mode. When my computer booted back up it froze almost immediately, I shut it down and rebooted and it took about 5 minutes to freeze. I had to run the avast boot scan so it would not freeze and I could get here and respond.
I expect that it will freeze with in the day.
Any other ideas will be appreciated.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

and quickly have Avast do a boot scan

Does it detect anything?

I have ran regular scans with avast, AVG

Running two AV programs?

Does the same issue happen, when you boot to Safe Mode?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

When I first ran the avast boot scan it found some corrupt files which I deleted, now it goes through the whole scan and finds nothing but it still stops my pc from freezing.
I have AVG which came on my computer and I installed Avast as soon as I got my computer which I have had for around a year and a half. I have been having the freezing issue for about two weeks now.
I have not had the issue in safe mode but I do not think that I have been working in safe mode when my PC was acting up.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

#7 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

All right sounds good Ill get right on it.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Cool :)

My Website

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hello,

I deleted your new topic as you neglected to post everything but the link to this topic. To restate what Broni said in a different way:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic374198.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users