Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rootkits Detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chococat897

chococat897

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Hello every1 ^^
lately, i have discovered a few rootkits. I have AVG 2011 Free-Edition.I was browsing on the web and click on a google link. Then AVG popped up warning me that there may be a hacker trying to hack. So I didn't proceed future. Later, I ran an AVG Rootkit scan; I was kind of surprised to see that I had 1 detected rootkit. I didn't quite remember exactly, but for sure it was a "hidden/unknown file."

I went online and I've tried Avage, Sohpos, and GMER. Avage didn't detect anything so I uninstalled that one. Sohpos detected a few rootkits, but I don't remember which....but for GMER, here are the detected rootkits/malware info(in order of what was displayed):

Type:
All of them are "Attached D"

Name:
\FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs
\Driver\tdx \Device\IP
\Driver\tdx \Device\Tcp
\Driver\tdx \Device\Udp
\Driver\tdx \Device\Rawlp
\Driver\kbdclass \Device\KeyboardClass0

Value:
AVGIDSFilter.Sys(IDS Application)
Avgdix.sys (AVG Network connection)
Wdf01000.sys (WDF Dynamic/Microsoft)

My computer have been showing NO signs of rootkits at ALL. I tried to Google several things in and it worked perfectly fine. NO spam e-mails in my inbox (just in the spam section as it usually is). My computer is not slow at all, normal speed and accuracy as it normally is. Everything seem to be runny well as usual.

The only reason why I suspect I have a rootkit is that AVG detected one, not because of my computer performance or anything. So I wanted to see what exactly is going on....

I have never encountered a rootkit before, so I don't have ANY experience with rootkits at all. I did do some research and I know briefly what rootkits are and what they do.

My questions are now:
What are these rootkits? Are they dangerous(rate from 1-5 scale please)?
What will these rootkits do?
Are they a HUGE problem or a tiny one?
What will it do to my computer?
Will not doing anything to it effect my computer in anyway?
Or is these all false rootkits?

Please reply ASAP. Thanks in advance every1[:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

as to your question on Rootkits.

Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRC Bots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to by used by the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used by Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bypasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:

What danger is presented by rootkits?
Rootkits and how to combat them
r00tkit Analysis: What Is A Rootkit
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users