Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mozilla and other problems in XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger54

Tiger54

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

This a reposting that was presented, originally, to this forum on 27 Nov, 2010. It was moved to the forum "Am I infected? What do I do?" where it was thoroughly scanned a cleared with the help of quietman7. I was then reposted to the forum "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs", scanned and deemed clean under the guidance of m0le, who advised reposting to this forum. So, I'm back!

In my normal limited account, I replaced an old wired Logitech Deluxe 104 keyboard and laser mouse combination with a repurposed GE WK3203 wireless keyboard and optical mouse. I used add/remove progams (I thought) to delete Logitech Setpoint, installed the GE software and rebooted. The very first thing I got after I rebooted and logged on was this error popup message:

"SetPoint has encountered a problem, and can not continue. Please reinstall SetPoint to corret this."

I verified that SetPoint was only partially deleted and tried to reinstall it but that failed. I reverted to a restore point prior to the hardware change but that did not resolve the SetPoint problem. When I next opened Firefox, I received this alert:

http://img816.imageshack.us/i/mozillaalert.png/

and I received the same pop-up when I tried to start Thunderbird. I can run Firefox in Sandboxie but never tried to run Thunderbird there because of the fear of losing new emails when exiting the sandbox. So I had limited use of Firefox and NO email capability. Internet Explorer did work, sometimes erratically.

I have since downloaded Setpoint, reinstalled it, and removed it completely.

On a hunch, I shared my Mozilla profiles in my Admin account and both Firefox and Thunderbird work perfectly. I shared the profiles in a second limited account and replicated the original errors.

The My Documents folder and the Mozilla profiles have been moved to a separate "Data" partition to separate them from the program files and simplify backup of all my data files. I don't know why or how that would contribute to the errors. I have now also ascertained that there are other functions that do not work the way they should in the limited account. For instance, if I open a Word document in the root of My Documents, modify it, and attempt to save the changes, I get the following error:

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/worderror.png/

If I copy the file to a folder in My documents, I am able to edit the document and save the changes without any problem. However, if I then attempt to use Explorer to move the changed file back to the original location to overwrite the original file, I get the following error:

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/explorererror.png/

There may be other things that don't work right in the limited account but I have been forced to use the Admin account for most of my normal operations for the last, nearly two months and none of these errors occur there. My limited accounts have serious problems and I am afraid to move forward with installing new hardare and converting to Win7.

Home built in X-Infinity full tower w 650 W PSU.
Asus M2N-SLI MOBO, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE, 4GB DDR2 PC-6400, HDDs WD Caviar 80 GB and 250GB, NVIDIA 7300 GS w/ dual Samsung Syncmaster 943 BWX Monitors.
WIN XP-Pro SP3, ESET NOD 32, Lavasoft AdAware, SpyBot S&D, Secunia PSI, MS Office 2010 Pro Plus, Moilla Thunderbird 3.0.4, Firefox 3.6.12, IE 8.0.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

FWIW: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Could_not_initialize_the_browser_security_component

If you have user profile problems...I would think that the best thing to do would be to create new profiles and replace the possibly damaged ones.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#3 Tiger54

Tiger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for picking up on this so quickly.

I read through the mozillazine article and have this to say. Hard drive capacity, in any of my partitions, is not an issue. Cert8.db is not read only and I have already deleted and recreated cert8.db with no effect. There are no non-latin characters in either my Windows user name or in either of the Mozilla profile names. I had not considered the possibility of corrupted profiles, since both Firefox and Thunderbird work perfectly in the Admin account.

I did, however, follow your advice to create a new Windows user account to eliminate the possibility of a corrupted user profile. That, too, proved futile. It had no effect on the running of the two Mozilla applications and did not resolve the two Windows/Office errors that I have so far identified and detailed in the post.

Any other suggestions?

Tiger54
Asus M2N-SLI MOBO, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE, 4GB DDR2 PC-6400, HDDs WD Caviar 80 GB and 250GB, NVIDIA 7300 GS w/ dual Samsung Syncmaster 943 BWX Monitors.
WIN XP-Pro SP3, ESET NOD 32, Lavasoft AdAware, SpyBot S&D, Secunia PSI, MS Office 2010 Pro Plus, Moilla Thunderbird 3.0.4, Firefox 3.6.12, IE 8.0.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

Not at all...I've never used any browser other than IE and my typical approach for resolving MS Office errors is to uninstall/reinstall, then install applicable SPs and other updates.

But others here may have some ideas.

Louis

#5 Tiger54

Tiger54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

OK Louis. This is really freaky and I hope somebody there has some ideas about how to fix it.

Thanks for the try,

Tiger54

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users