Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe finally promises to help rein in Flash "zombie cookies"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

http://www.infoworld.com/t/privacy/adobe-finally-promises-help-rein-in-flash-cookies-601?page=0,0&source=rss_security_central

Five months after a string of lawsuits unveiled Flash's complicity in restoring zombie cookies, Adobe Systems has finally promised to do something about it. The operative word is "promised."

--snip--

At its heart the trick's pretty simple. A website that wanted to maintain tenacious cookies only needed one extra step. In addition to placing a cookie on the user's PC, they also used the good services of Adobe Flash to keep a backup copy of the cookie. That way, if the user deleted a particular site's cookie, the site could rummage around in Flash's storage to see if there was a backup.

--snip--

Third, Adobe promises that some day you'll be able to control Flash cookies directly from within Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Called the Flash Player Settings Manager, the new utility's supposed to integrate with the Windows Control Panel sometime in the first half of this year. (Call me skeptical, but it could happen.) In the interim, Flash says it's improved the weird online program that it's always pushed for adjusting Flash cookie settings. I don't see any difference from the old version: It still sports a bizarre, convoluted interface that doesn't look like it's doing anything. If you want to see what Flash cookies are stored on your system, go to that weird online program and click the second icon from the right -- bet you'll be amazed.

I agree with the writer, that ridiculous Flash global settings thing is a convoluted MESS, I never could quite get the hang of it. I use the Everything search engine to clear out unwanted Flash "Zombie" cookies once a week or so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

Apparently, I have a LOOOOT of zombie cookies, because the option to view the cookies won't even load. Thx for the link to the Everything seach engine, problem is fixed.
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users