Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista USB Problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Ok so I've had this problem starting near the middle of December. I have 4 usb ports on my laptop, 2 on each side. One random day, both on the right side stop working.

And what I mean by stop working is that they can still charge devices like my phone and ipod, but fail to transfer data. Same thing with the mouse, the mouse can't move but the red light will still light up.

About a week later, I had a game up on my laptop (Bad Company2), and I left it on while I went out to feed my dogs. When I came back (about 5 minutes later), my computer was turned off. Noone else in the house was there so I was trying to figure out what happened. When I turned it back on one of the left usb ports was 'dead' when I turned it back on. Same story, the mouse lights up, but doesn't move.

Also noted, whenver I pull the mouse out, I get the USB device not recognized error. I know its fairly common and I have tried all the tricks to fix it, including:
1. Shutting it off and unplugging the power cord
2. Uninstalling all the 'unknown device' from the Universal Serial Bus list in the Device Manager and rebooting.
3. Tried changing the power management settings for the usb ports.
4. System restore to a date before this started happening.

All these did not work :(

Occasionally I have to pull my mouse out of the 1 remaining fully functioning usb port and plug it back in to get it to work again.

Here's a screenshot of my USB list in the Device Manager if it helps:

Posted Image

Any help would be very appreciated :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

I would delete ALL of those USB Controllers (not devices, not hubs)...reboot and allow the controllers to reinstall automatically.

FWIW: General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575 .

USB problems extend across the board so don't be put off by the fact that the link above refers to XP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#3 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

I would delete ALL of those USB Controllers (not devices, not hubs)...reboot and allow the controllers to reinstall automatically.

FWIW: General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575 .

USB problems extend across the board so don't be put off by the fact that the link above refers to XP.

Louis

Thanks, I will try that and look through that post and come back with an update later B)

#4 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hamluis, I get the USB device is not recognized error after I uninstalled all of the usb controllers. Even before I plugged my mouse in.

Posted Image

I looked over that link you posted but it seems like I've tried all of that stuff.

Also, the list changed after I uninstalled all the controllers and let it reinstall after rebooting:

Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Well...I don't know why you have 8 listings for USB controllers. I've only seen systems reflect two normally...you seem to have 6 too many entries there, IMO.

Normal reflection is 1 standard controller (USB 1.0/1.1 support) and 1 Enhanced ccntroller (USB 2.0 support.

Let's see what others think :).

Louis

#6 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Well...I don't know why you have 8 listings for USB controllers. I've only seen systems reflect two normally...you seem to have 6 too many entries there, IMO.

Normal reflection is 1 standard controller (USB 1.0/1.1 support) and 1 Enhanced ccntroller (USB 2.0 support.

Let's see what others think :).

Louis

Yes I thought that was quite strange myself. :blink:

#7 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

i only have 3 usb ports (they all work good) notice the usb2....I was trying to help another guy over
here he's running win7 and still havent had no luck

edit ..I cant get my screenshot on here, but you can see it in the other link

good luck

Edited by keny111111, 15 January 2011 - 05:27 PM.

Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#8 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

i only have 3 usb ports (they all work good) notice the usb2....I was trying to help another guy over
here he's running win7 and still havent had no luck

edit ..I cant get my screenshot on here, but you can see it in the other link

good luck

Thanks Kenny, I'll look through it. I've scoured over google and have seen plenty of links to forums like this with people who have usb problems. A lot unsolved too. I hope this is not the case, because having 1 usb port is kind of annoying, and if it stops working I'll have to send my computer in repair, which usually takes about a 1 month. :(

Does anyone know why the mouse lights up (along with other usb hardware) but doesn't actually move? I thought the ports were dead at first but that has me perplexed. :wacko:

#9 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

thats the problem the other guy has, he can use them but they are not 2.0 . what is the make and model of yours?
Have A Great Day

#10 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

he just posted that he fixed his by removing the ac power and battery and the cmos battery for ten minutes, then rebooted.
Have A Great Day

#11 Jaksueaj

Jaksueaj

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

try to allow the controllers to reinstall automatically.

#12 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

thats the problem the other guy has, he can use them but they are not 2.0 . what is the make and model of yours?

Are you talking about the USB ports? If so how do I find the make and model? The laptop is an ASUS g71.

he just posted that he fixed his by removing the ac power and battery and the cmos battery for ten minutes, then rebooted.

I'll try that, thanks.

@Jaksu I have already tried that

Edited by swimmerfanx, 16 January 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#13 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Kenny I tried removing the power cord and battery. Didn't do the cmos battery cause quite frankly I don't know what it is :blush: . I have a laptop so I can't disassemble it or I will void the warranty.

#14 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

its a little "watch" battery that keeps all your settings (clock,bios ect)sometimes removing all power is enough to reset whatever has gone wrong.. http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAWCENUS354&q=cmos+battery&aq=1&oq=cmos

just a thought your problem was a little different from the other post...

good luck
Have A Great Day

#15 swimmerfanx

swimmerfanx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

its a little "watch" battery that keeps all your settings (clock,bios ect)sometimes removing all power is enough to reset whatever has gone wrong.. http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1ACAWCENUS354&q=cmos+battery&aq=1&oq=cmos

just a thought your problem was a little different from the other post...

good luck

Yeah but for a laptop doesn't this mean I would have to disassemble it? Or is it located in some place that doesn't void the warranty if taken apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users