Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Display Driver has stopped responding" while playing Sims 3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lbear

Lbear

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

hey there, please bear with me as i attempt to give all the details pertinent to this query, as I am not super computer- savvy. Let me know if additional info is needed.

Operating System: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
System: (brand new) Dell Inspiron 17R (Inspiron N7010)
Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU M 460 @253GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Direct X Version 11

This error message pops up while playing the Sims 3, usually while on large lots, sometimes after hours of playing and sometimes after only a few minutes. I've tried running the game in windowed mode, which did not help the problem, but allowed me to see the error message.

Windows help and support offers the following suggestion: open screen resolution- click advanced settings- click troubleshoot tab- click change settings- move hardware accelerator slider to full, however when I go to advanced settings, the change settings is not clickable. it says "if your current display driver allows you to change settings, click this button" but it's not clickable for me, so how would I change hardware acceleration? Intel site says there are no updates for my driver.

any idea how to fix this? My "Intel graphics and Media control panel" is set to "maximum performance" under "power plans." I scanned my computer at the Sims site to see if it met the requirements for playing (http://www.ea.com/games/the-sims-3# ) and it said my computer exceeds the minimum requirements to play.

The Intel Driver Update Utility provides the following:
Product Deteted: Intel HD Graphics
Current Driver Installed: 8.15.10.2104
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

Please help, and let me know if additional info is needed. This is a brand-new laptop and I had high hopes for playing the Sims 3. Thank you for your time.

Edited by Lbear, 14 January 2011 - 07:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

You are using a laptop which has specialized graphics drivers, this means you cannot simply go to Intel's website to download the most recent drivers which may fix this problem. This is one major problem with gaming on a laptop, the hardware is more custom, such as the graphics card, and sometimes requires special drivers which aren't always updated as freqently as drivers for desktop PC components. I suggest getting in touch with Dell to see if they have an updated driver. It may not fix your problem, but it is a step in the right direction.

3939.png

#3 Lbear

Lbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I've gone to the Dell site and updated with the newest video driver for the one for my laptop, but it hasn't resolved the issue :( I can't believe that a brand-new laptop that's supposed to be really good can't handle a game that came out in '09. If anyone has any suggestions, please respond, but if not it looks like I'll have to suck it up and buy a new graphics card.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

It's all about the graphics when it comes to gaming, and unfortunately, integrated graphics aren't good, especially Intel graphics integrated into laptops. Those graphics are about as low as you can go. Have you tried playing the game on lower graphics settings? There may be a conflict with one of the settings past a certain point.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users