Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server service stopping

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Adam R.

Adam R.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

I am having an issue with a Dell server that is running MS Server 2003. About 1 to 2 hours after a reboot the server service stops and I am no longer able to access the shared drives across the network. There an no indicators in the event viewer that would show why this is crashing. The problem is the client computers that use XP are constantly writing files to the server all day long. I have done a lot of searching online and have not found a decent answer yet. As of now it has been up for about 2 hours and I am making sure all of the updates are installed. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could try, please let me know. I have scanned for virus/malware and have found nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

What are they writing to the server? What kind of server is this?

#3 Adam R.

Adam R.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

It seems that downloading windows updates has solved the problem. Not sure what was fixed but it is not losing shares anymore. It was a Small business server (dell poweredge). The clients are writing xml, dat, and other similar files.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Keeping your server and workstations updated is critical to optimum performance of any network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users