Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essential disabled on log in.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

This is a pretty minor problem, but still unnerving...
When I turn on my laptop and enter my password to log in to windows 7 Microsoft security Essentials is shown as 'red' and is disabled while the rest of my machine loads up. Usually running a disc defrag and disk cleanup etc.. usually clears up the problem for about a week. So from what I've read in google searches it's because MSE isn't the priority when windows starts up, so it takes a little while to fully load.

My question is, is there any way I CAN make it the priority or make it load up faster other than the defrags and disc cleanups that are a temporary fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Misaki

Misaki

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

When I turn on my laptop and enter my password to log in to windows 7 Microsoft security Essentials is shown as 'red' and is disabled while the rest of my machine loads up. Usually running a disc defrag and disk cleanup etc.. usually clears up the problem for about a week.

This tells me that your system is using too many resources at once. Do you have programs that you no longer use or have ones that are unneeded on Startup? If so, I would recommend that you disable and uninstall these. If you require help identifying what you need and do not, please tell.

My question is, is there any way I CAN make it the priority or make it load up faster other than the defrags and disc cleanups that are a temporary fix?

Yes, there is a way, by changing the defined priority of services. I will need your Operating System first. On a side note, I do not recommend having that for an Anti-Virus. There are lots of free programs available that will not be as troublesome. Just my thoughts.

Misaki

Edited by Misaki, 15 January 2011 - 10:44 PM.

#3 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hi,

When I turn on my laptop and enter my password to log in to windows 7 Microsoft security Essentials is shown as 'red' and is disabled while the rest of my machine loads up. Usually running a disc defrag and disk cleanup etc.. usually clears up the problem for about a week.

This tells me that your system is using too many resources at once. Do you have programs that you no longer use or have ones that are unneeded on Startup? If so, I would recommend that you disable and uninstall these. If you require help identifying what you need and do not, please tell.

Yes, there is a way, by changing the defined priority of services. I will need your Operating System first. On a side note, I do not recommend having that for an Anti-Virus. There are lots of free programs available that will not be as troublesome. Just my thoughts.

Misaki

I said in my above post that I'm running windows 7. I've gone in and gotten rid of all of the startup programs AND services that I don't want. So far it hasn't gone red on me, but then again it's only been about a day. Which other free AV software would you suggest though?

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

On a side note, I do not recommend having that for an Anti-Virus. There are lots of free programs available that will not be as troublesome. Just my thoughts.

I think you're a bit behind the times, Misaki. MSE is now one of the most recommended, if not the number 1 recommended, free anti-virus program at many forums. The reason being its ease of use, and incredible detection rates. It is easily on par with Avast and Avira.
ArtistInNeed, you should be fine with Microsoft Security Essentials, it is probably the most user friendly antivirus out there.

Edited by Sightless, 16 January 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#5 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

On a side note, I do not recommend having that for an Anti-Virus. There are lots of free programs available that will not be as troublesome. Just my thoughts.

I think you're a bit behind the times, Misaki. MSE is now one of the most recommended, if not the number 1 recommended, free anti-virus program at many forums. The reason being its ease of use, and incredible detection rates. It is easily on par with Avast and Avira.
ArtistInNeed, you should be fine with Microsoft Security Essentials, it is probably the most user friendly antivirus out there.

Thanks sightless, I was wondering how it could have dropped off of it's top ranking in about a month's time. I really don't know where Misaki was coming from...

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

No problem, Misaki keeps not recommending MSE, but provides no reason.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Can't we all just get along?

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

@ArtistInNeed Have you checked your application and system event logs for events related to MSE, maybe that will give you a clue?
You'll have to filter for source "Microsoft Antimalware" though, that's how MSE is recording its events in the event logs.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#9 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,641 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

@ArtistInNeed

One more thing, in case the event log doesn't help you.

Have you checked the settings of the MSE service (it's know as Microsoft Antimalware Service)?
Is its startup type "Automatic"?
When you have a red MSE icon in the icon tray, is the service status "Started" or not?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#10 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

@Didier Steven
I checked the event viewer and I found this error log.

Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Behavior Monitoring
Error Code: 0x80004005
Error description: Unspecified error
Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

But today I didn't even see the red icon. Since I've disabled a few things like Google updater I haven't gotten the red icon yet. But then again it's only been about 48 hours.

Also I don't know what you mean by checking MSE's service settings. In msconfig it's still enabled in the services tab if that's what you meant. Also by sevice status do you mean in the task manager's service tab or in MSE's interface? In MSE's interface it tells me that my machine isn't protected and that I should re-enble it. But it starts itself fully after a minute or two.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:52 PM

...Also I don't know what you mean by checking MSE's service settings. In msconfig it's still enabled in the services tab if that's what you meant. Also by sevice status do you mean in the task manager's service tab or in MSE's interface? In MSE's interface it tells me that my machine isn't protected and that I should re-enble it. But it starts itself fully after a minute or two.

How to Start or Disable Services in Windows 7
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2495-services-start-disable.html

#12 ArtistInNeed

ArtistInNeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

@Union_Thug, thanks for that mate!
@Didier Stevens, so yes it's set to automatic. If it does it again I'll check to see if it's started!

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

On my XP SP3 I have not used any other A/V except MSE for at least 9 months - The program has picked up 3 items and killed them in nannoseconds -
I used it on my Win7 laptop for 3 months but I am not sure what went wrong with it, so I now have Avira on the Win7 unit -
Even though I would prefer MSE on it (much quicker response/kill time) I will leave Avira there for 3 months and try MSE again -
I love it, and have never faulted it on the XP desktop unit -
Just my 2 cents -

#14 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

I checked the event viewer and I found this error log.

Microsoft Antimalware Real-Time Protection feature has encountered an error and failed.
Feature: Behavior Monitoring
Error Code: 0x80004005
Error description: Unspecified error
Reason: The filter driver requires an up-to-date engine in order to function. You must install the latest definition updates in order to enable real-time protection.

I have similar errors on my machine, so it is probably not linked to your issue. Unless in your case, the definition update takes extremely long, and that would explain why MSE is disabled during that period.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

#15 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

@Union_Thug, thanks for that mate!
@Didier Stevens, so yes it's set to automatic. If it does it again I'll check to see if it's started!

Yes, that is normal, so you should check when the problem reappears.

BTW, just to avoid chasing ghosts, you do have enough disk space left on your system drive?

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users