Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New WinXP Pro install; Slow visual response

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smileandwave

smileandwave

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

I've just done a fresh install of Windows XP Pro (on a new hard drive). Problem: I'm getting slow visual response. Whenever I'm scrolling down a page (Web, email), dragging a window, resizing column widths in Windows Explorer, etc., things don't move quickly or smoothly. Rather, the scrolling/moving happens with a very delayed, jerky "wave" effect. If I'm deleting several email messages from my Inbox, instead of all disappearing at once, they individually "ripple" away, taking 1+ seconds each to disappear from the list. If I'm scrolling up/down in Windows Explorer or email, the cursor moves at normal speed from line to line within the window's visible contents; but when I reach the top/bottom of the window, it slows down, displaying the next line, then rippling all other lines up/down before adding another line, etc. Anyone know what's causing this slow response? How can I adjust it?

The system seems to be running fine - i.e., not sluggish processing. Just getting this jerky/wave visual effect.

Thanks,
SmileAndWave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

I've had that happen...try uninstalling the video drivers, then reinstalling same :).

I found it very annoying :).

Louis

#3 smileandwave

smileandwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hmmmm...

When I installed WinXP on this new HD (in a Dell Vostro 1700 notebook), I retrieved from Dell's Downloads page all driver updates (17, I think) specific to the Vostro 1700. Two drivers failed to install - the audio driver and the video driver (R190066 nVidia).

How do I go about uninstalling the video driver? (Pardon my ignorance.)

Also, do you recommend uninstalling whatever video driver is there and trying to replace it with itself ... or uninstalling whatever is there and trying to install the R190066 nVidia driver from Dell's Downloads page? OR try to get Windows Update to update/install the driver (maybe through System Properties > Hardware tab > Drivers??).

Thanks,
SmileAndWave

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Windows Update...is the site to go to when one wants to install critical updates. Windows Update is the site to go to for...optional components of Windows.

I never advise anyone to download/install drivers for a system/motherboard from Windows Update. Either the website of the system manufacturer (in the case of "name brand" systems such as Dell, HP, etc.) or the website of the corresponing motherboard manufacurer (self/custom-built systems where onboard functions for audio, video, etc. are provided) or the specific website of the added component (physical video card, audio card, etc.)...those are the places from which drivers should be obtained.

The basic reason is that the drivers databases are more current for those systems/components...if obtained from the correct respective website of the manufacturer, IMO.

To uninstall any driver...you must go to Device Manager. Starr/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the plus-sign in front of the listed device category, to see the detail. Double-click the detailed item.

The tab marked Drivers is what you want...click the Uninstall button.

I find that the drivers which I originally used with a device/system...work fine for me. I normally reinstall those from the CD on which they came. If I don't have a CD and don't have the drivers backed up (along with programs which I seem to use forever), I just go to the approriate website and download the drivers, before I uninstall the other drivers.

As for drivers which don't install...I've never run into that. I don't buy systems by Dell, HP, etc. and I tend to keep my CDs received with motherboards and other components. If a driver failed to install...I would have to assume that it is not the correct driver for my component/system...or that this particular component has died on me.

Louis

#5 smileandwave

smileandwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Louis,

Solution report: Tried your uninstall-reinstall suggestion, to no avail. I finally came across a suggestion in the Dell Community Forum to use a modified INF file available from LaptopVideo2Go.com. As it turns out, LaptopVideo2Go.com didn't have a modified INF for the particular driver (175.97) which Dell's downloads had provided for the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS in my Dell Vostro 1700 (running 32-bit WinXP Pro).

However... LaptopVideo2Go.com DID have a modified INF for **175.75** which, in theory, should work for me. I downloaded this modified INF, switched it for the INF in the 175.97 installation pack and it worked!!

What a welcomed relief! It's like my computer had been moving in slow motion; aggravating and productivity-sapping. Now I can scroll with the best of 'em!

Thanks for your earlier ideas.

SmileAndWave

P.S. Related link that may help others who encounter this problem: What is a modded INF?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Glad you were able tolve it...I've had that happen twice, so I know how irritating it is :).

Glad you were able to resolve it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users