Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some program icons not appearing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hi. Well I've finally managed to get my desktop in a state where i can really call it finished. Only now there is a new problem. On certain programs, windows won't display the program icon on the taskbar. Instead, it gives me this number:
Posted Image

I also get this error in Malwarebytes and Speakonia. It's annoying and i'm hoping that it can be fixed.

Now i want to point out one thing, I was customizing my desktop yesterday (the day i first noticed this problem), and i had justed installed this little utility called 7Stacks (scanned w/ AVG). I'm saying this because i didn't notice the problem until after installing the program, although i don't think this is the issue.

This issue is only with CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and speakonia. also, the icons for these programs, are not displayed in the startmenu, and i have attempted to reinstall these programs already without luck.

If you need specs see my signature. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MKCL

MKCL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

Sounds like your icon cache is corrupt;

(you will need to show hidden files/folders to do this)
open computer Click Tools from the Menu > Select Folder Option, Now click the View tab > Select Show Hidden Files Folders and Drives and click Apply.

Go to computer then type in the address bar > %username%\AppData\Local and press Enter:

locate the Icon Cache File and simply delete it;

Now all you need to do now is restart your PC and this will automatically rebuild the Icon Cache to its normal self.

hopefully this will fix the issue.

Posted Image

"It takes an intelligent fool to make things bigger and more complex..... It takes a touch of genius to move in the opposite direction"

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

Well, i tried what you said, but it unfortunately didn't work. Although i did see a 2MB increase in my icon cache after restarting! Any other ideas?

#4 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

Um, OK. Freaking out now! The problem seems to be getting worse! number of programs affected has doubled!

#5 MKCL

MKCL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Strange it only resets the icon cache..........

from elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter then let it scan then reboot pc

if i can just add...... have you been using a registry cleaner recently and deleted so called old registries?hence ccleaner.

Edited by MKCL, 14 January 2011 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

"It takes an intelligent fool to make things bigger and more complex..... It takes a touch of genius to move in the opposite direction"

#6 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

well, yeah. But i've been using it for over two years now and it's never done this to me. plus, i had always assumed that CCleaner was a less aggressive registry cleaner, as my AVG told me i had 200 some registry errors, where as CCleaner told me i only had 3. Just saying, i never did let AVG clean those entries.

#7 MKCL

MKCL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Ccleaner is a great little program but registry side of it should only be used occasionally.

Is this issue just affecting the taskbar icons or/and desktop icons too?

I suggest you remove 7Stacks from your pc, using third party apps/programs like this cause more damage than good. and now its clear to me after reading up this little app that this has caused your issue, so remove it completly and then run through all again.

Edited by MKCL, 14 January 2011 - 05:14 PM.

Posted Image

#8 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

well, i attempted it, and this is as far as i got:
Posted Image

what next?

#9 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

i just now read your post, i was actually about to do the same! But yeah, i will do that right now.

#10 MKCL

MKCL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I suggest you remove 7Stacks from your pc, using third party apps/programs like this cause more damage than good. and now its clear to me after reading up this little app that this has caused your issue, so remove it completly and then run through all again.

when performing system file scan do this in safemode with command prompt

Posted Image

#11 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

Ok. I uninstalled 7Stacks, and the icon for CCleaner returned, but thats it. There still like five other programs that are missing taskbar icons. The icons are missing at the .exe itself, yet strangely enough that little icon at the top left corner of the window is still present. Also, i still get a Windows Resource Protection error, even in safemode w/ CMD.

#12 MKCL

MKCL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Ok, have you tried to reset the icon cache once more?

also i think it will be best to also do the following;

Insert Windows 7 DVD and hit a key when asked to. You may have to change your boot order to boot from DVD

Then

Click on Repair your computer

Then

select your OS

Then

Click on Command Prompt

Enter the command sfc.exe /scannow Then wait until the scan has been completed and your Windows 7 system files will be repaired / replaced with the original Windows 7 system files.

this should do the job!

and i dont recommend using crappy third party apps such as things that will mess with the system files/registry files as these will always cause you trouble.

let me know how you get on.

Posted Image

#13 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

well, i can try the icon cache one more time, but i can't do the DVD boot since i never received the Install DVD. If i had a blank one i could burn one but i don't so i can't.

#14 MKCL

MKCL

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

Windows 7 Repair DVD

Try other suggestions first then as before.

The only other thing is a system restore back before you put that 7stacks on your pc

Try this it may resolve the system file scan error > in your primary hard disk drive partition (usually C and the solution is to check this partition for errors: open Computer, right-click on this partition (local disk), click Properties, click the Tools tab, click Check Now, schedule a disk check for the next time your computer starts, restart your computer and let CHKDSK run its course. After your computer retstarts you should have no problem running SFC /SCANNOW succesfully.

Remember to run sfc /scannow as administrator

Edited by MKCL, 14 January 2011 - 06:08 PM.

Posted Image

#15 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

well, after losing the better part of 3 hours to a chkdsk scan of my 1TB HD, i STILL CAN'T RUN AN SFC /SCANNOW!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users