Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Startup Repair Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sandy179

sandy179

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

I have a Sony Viao PCG-71312M

I have had this Viao for about 2 years but never had a problem. The operating system is Windows 7.
The laptop was working fine apart from louder noises coming from the fan recently, I thought it could be down to over heating as I work with it on my lap most of the time.

This afternoon I switched on the laptop and displayed the Windows Error recovery prompt. I didn't think that was unusual as sometimes I put the laptop on sleep mode with the battery running.
I tried to start windows as normal but after about 5 minutes Windows wouldn't start. I switched off the laptop and tried to start again. Windows Error recovery prompt appeared again, this time I selected, Launch Startup repair, the screen was blank for a few moments and then returned to Windows Error Recovery Prompt, it keeps doing a loop and wont start or complete the error recovery. I tried to run the laptop in Safe Mode and again windows will not open. I was not provided with a recovery disk nor a windows 7 disk when I purchased this laptop. I received an update just before this happened but I have a horrible feeling this may be a virus.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I love this little laptop :(

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2011 - 05:08 PM.
Moved from Vista to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coco3299

coco3299

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

Hmmm while you just may have a virus, I came here to find issues to similar questions and find so many people with my issue. I dont wanna retype my past posts but I had two computers with similar issues and going back to the first to repair it once second broke I am finding many people with these concerns. Mine did the same thing (see my other posts) and my newer one's fan went out. I cracked it open to no avail. I use a laptop table with fan now :)Long story short there has been a recall on many motherboards which causes this (at least those made my NVIDIA) and there is a recall on my first one from Compaq. To boot there was an automatic update made to increase fan speeds to cool the defaulty overheating motherboards and this has made a lot of fans go bad prematurely. This happened to me too! I think a virus just made things worse for me! So all I can offer is to check around with others to see if this a trend with your model or something and check around for recalls- information is not readily available as you would think so you might have to search hard and keep documentation. It may not be an easy fix, you may need a new motherboard. Good Luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users