Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't connect to internet...virus related?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 mamalantz

mamalantz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

Problem - I can't connect to the internet. Also, I cannot turn on my firewall.

McAfee alerted I had a Trojan (Exploit-CVE2010-0094) on 12/9/10 & it was quarantined. Nothing else except tracking cookies have come up since. I was able to connect to the internet until 1/8/11.

I can connect to my wireless network, but it says "limited access" & when I open Internet Explorer, the webpage cannot display on any website. When I ran the troubleshooter, it said problems found - "The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running".

I contacted cable company & it's not an issue with the service. I can connect to my wireless network & the internet using my phone & my old laptop. They had me try direct connection from laptop to modem & still no internet.

I called Dell because I'm still under warranty (apparently for hardware only). They had me do a few things. Couldn't find a restore point. Found out both my wireless & LAN ipv4 address starts with "169" in normal and in safe mode. Could not reset/renew IP address. They determined there must be a problem with my system registry. Told me I should back-up my files & they could walk me through restoring the factory settings. Then the guy transferred me to Dell's Software Team. They told me I probaby had a really smart virus & that he could "directly reinstall the operating system" for a fee (up to $239).

I don't have the money to do that & I would rather save the factory restore as a last resort. An IT friend told me to download combofix on flash drive & run on infected laptop. I did & I still can't connect to the internet. He said I'd probably need to have somebody look at it. (He lives out-of-state.)

Somebody else suggested that I uninstall the driver for my network adapter & reinstall it. Tried & that didn't work either.

Not sure what to do, so I thought I'd post here to see if there was anything else I could do. Please let me know if you can help.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 mamalantz

mamalantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

hello,

i'm here! i still need help if you're able. i think the problem has gotten worse. the last time i turned on the infected laptop, it took forever to open windows and then it was so incredibly slow that i didn't even try to access any of my files or open any programs. please let me know where to start.

thanks!

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Lots of problems which may or may not be a smart virus (whatever that is)

Please run the following programs for me

• Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.

• Extract its contents to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the desktop.

• Go to Start > Run (Or you can hold down your Windows key and press R) and copy and paste the following into the text field. (make sure you include the quote marks) Then press OK.

"%userprofile%\Desktop\TDSSKiller.exe" -l report.txt

• Now click Start Scan.
  • If Malicious objects are found, ensure Cure is selected then click Continue > Reboot now.
  • Click Close
  • Finally press Report and copy and paste the contents into your next reply. If you've rebooted then the log will be found at C:\

And

Please download MBRCheck to your desktop.

1. Double click MBRCheck.exe to run it (Right click and run as Administrator for Vista).
2. It will open a black window, please do not fix anything (if it gives you an option).
3. Exit that window and it will produce a log (MBRCheck_date_time).
4. Please post that log when you reply.
Posted Image

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 3 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#6 mamalantz

mamalantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

let's continue with the pm conversation please

Attached Files

Edited by mamalantz, 25 January 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

This topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users