Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shows nothing when turned on.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Moses.A

Moses.A

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hello, I was receiving help from the malware removal log forum because my computer got infected. Unfortunately, I was told to come to the hardware section because my computer does not show anything when I turn it on now. I tested the monitor on another computer and it's working fine so I know it isn't the monitor. So as of right now, when I turn on the computer the power button is lit and light for the CD/DVD flashes but nothing appears on the monitor. I hear the fan running but I do not hear any other noise or any weird sound coming from the computer. I hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

<<...I choose to remove the registry...>>

Can you explain what you did and how you accomplished this?

Louis

#3 Moses.A

Moses.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hello, last month before I came to this website, I did a scan with malwarebytes and it showed two infected registry files. I clicked on the remove selected files and it got rid of it. After that, the computer was still able to boot up and I could choose to go into either normal or safe mode. Not until last week the computer showed nothing when I turned it on.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Well...you may want to try a repair install...or a clean install of XP.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 Moses.A

Moses.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

The system manufacturer is HP and the model is: a1610n. How would I do a clean install of XP since nothing appears on the screen?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Well...if it's a hardware problem, you are right...you can't do a clean install.

I tend to function on the premise of things that can be tried to determine...if it is a hardware problem. If you have a bootable CD and that works, then hardware can be ruled out.

If nothing at all appears onscreen, no matter what you try...then you have to try checking the various hardware items that could be involved.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3239117

Since it's a desktop...have you tried a physical video card?

Louis

#7 Moses.A

Moses.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hello, I put in an XP cd and nothing showed up. I also took out my graphics card that I usually use and tried to see if the built-in video chip would work but it didn't. I went to the website you posted but I don't know exactly which hardware to test. Do you have any suggestions for me?

#8 anne wilson

anne wilson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

I think you should format your system, after formatting your computer you can see everything. Hope it will work for your pc.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:12 AM

Hello if I may jump in here and offer some assistance.

First, here is a support link from HP for HP computers that have blank video screen issues at start up.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph04760&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3239117

Go down this list to see if anything suggested on that page solves your problem.

I am assuming you had no graphics problems before your computer became infected, if this holds true, there are cases where Viruses and Trojans can corrupt the firmware that is written into various pieces of hardware, a computers chip-set or BIOS chip without the computer owners knowledge.

As I stated above, if your graphics issues started after your computer became infected, your computer MAY be suffering from this possibility.

Please follow some of the suggestions at the HP web page I linked you to above.

If nothing on that page offers a solution, or if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

If I do not reply to your request within 24 hours, please feel free to PM me.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Tom187839

Tom187839

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

As Bruce said, if you had gotten some bad malware or virus that affected your BIOS it could be a number of things. You could try and clear the CMOS memory, remove the battery, take the cables from the power supply off the motherboard, and unplug from the wall for a full reset of the motherboard memory.

If this does not work, look to see if you can recover your motherboard's BIOS to default factory settings (if it is supported on yours).

However, first try and check hardware for problems. I know that a blown CPU will give you nothing on the screen as well. To check for that remove the CPU, fan, and all other non-vital hardware and start the computer to see if it will make it into BIOS.

#11 Moses.A

Moses.A
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Hello all, I tried a lot of things but none seemed to work. First I tried to clear the CMOS using the jumper but nothing showed up. Then I removed the power supply cables from the motherboard for a few minutes and put them back but that didn't do anything. I took a windows 7 dvd, unplugged the hard-drive and tried to boot from the dvd drive and nothing. With the hard-drive still unhooked, I tried to boot with a usb stick from one of the ports but it was the same result. I then took out each RAM stick one at a time and turned on the computer with one RAM to see if it was the memory but nothing showed every time. I even took out all the RAM and listened for a beep code or a light on the motherboard but nothing happened. I am almost certain at this point that the motherboard is completely dead. I wanted to buy another motherboard but I wanted to know what you all think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users