Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking WinXP Pro and Win7 64Bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jvallee

jvallee

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Been trying to resolve mapped drives issues with an XP Pro SP3 and Win 7 Pro 64bit

Both are in the same workgroup (named WW)

The XP machine can see the W7's shared drive in Explorer when I click on the workgrp and expand.
But when I dblclk the shared drive © I get "not accessible - you might not have permission... access is denied"
I am however able to map the Win7 drive.

On the reverse side, the W7 machine can see the XP's shared drives and map drives to them but I get the error msg
"... not accessible. you might not have permission... not enough server storage is available to process this command".

I also have an XP Virtual PC that can see the W7's shared drive and can map to it but get same error when trying to access it.

Win7 is new to me so network settings/permissions etc are a BIG learning curve.

W7 was set up with:

network discovery on

file & printer sharing on

public folder sharing on

media streaming on

128-bit encryption on

password protected sharing OFF

allow windows to manage homegroup connections

I have taken ownership of the Win7 C drive (I am only user and admin), set permissions to Full Control for all and increased IRPStackSize on XP Registry to 20.

Any idea where I should start to fix this?

Thanks!!!

Edited by jvallee, 14 January 2011 - 03:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blondie101010

blondie101010

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

You don't mention if you changed the advanced setting on W7 to turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in Public folders.

#3 jvallee

jvallee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Public folder sharing is ON (as stated)

#4 blondie101010

blondie101010

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

Public folder sharing is ON (as stated)

I saw that, but you also need to go in the advanced options to allow read-write access.

#5 jawad19376

jawad19376

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

hi frnds i m here to indroduce u a new and very profitable site to make quick money and also for online jobs,marketing,articles and web hosting and much much more..
for more details visit this link..
http://www.earnmoney.pk/

#6 jvallee

jvallee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Also done.
All files and folders marked read-write etc.. and all users have full control permissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users