Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell GX280 Won't POST/BOOT

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Here is what is going on, originally my desktop was working perfectly fine however I decided to

purchase a video card to upgrade from the on-board video card. I purchased a ASUS EAH3450 512MB

video card and inserted it into the AGP slot available. I also installed the necessary drivers with the CD-ROM

that came with the video card (one driver was not on the CD-ROM which stated it was for an Audio component

on the video card and I disregarded). Within device manager I noted that the new video card was active and I was

able to modify my monitor output resolution to higher levels, and use the new graphics card with no problems. The next

thing I did was I disabled the Ethernet port via Windows Device Manager and still everything was working well,

then I decided to restart the computer to make sure everything was working properly and that was when the computer stopped

booting or posting at all. One thing I remember was that I cleaned out the dust from the motherboard and components after I installed

the video card and had shut down the computer, also I may have removed the heat sink fan to clean it out during this time. I put

everything back together and the computer would not POST let alone boot up. At this point I figured it was the new video card so I removed

it and connected the monitor to the original video card (drivers were never uninstalled after installing the new one even though the video

card manual stated to do so I believe I forgot to do this before restarting), the computer would still not post.

I noticed a orange LED light on the motherboard labeled "AUX PWR", and also that the power button led was a steady

orange/amber color rather than turning to a steady green, the HDD green led light never came on either nor did the diagnostic

leds on the back panel. This had me thinking that the 210W PSU was not providing enough power to the new video card (even though

it was working fine before doing the restart), so I upgraded the PSU to a Thermaltake 430W thinking this would solve my problem, yet

it still would not post. I attempted to reset the jumpers for a BIOS reset, reset the BIOS with by removing the CMOS battery, tried reseating

the RAM and also tried new RAM, removed various components with only the motherboard connected to the psu and still it would not post.

One thing I noticed was the AUX PWR light came on when I had the 4-pin 12V psu cable plugged into the motherboard even when the computer

was in the OFF state and the psu was plugged into the wall.

I took out the CPU and checked the thermal grease on the heat sink (it was wearing thin so I made some with vaseline and toothpaste), still

the computer would not post and only turn the main heat sink fan (only fan) on which would continuously increase until it hit max speed, if I plugged

a USB mouse in the mouse would light up fine however a USB keyboard would not work (no NUM LOCK or CAPS LOCK leds), there is no VGA

output to the motherboard even using the on-board video card.

Right now I am confused as to what could be wrong, if anyone can give me any suggestions?

Specifications:

Dell GX280: Intel P4 Processor (@2.8Ghz)

Foxconn LS-36 Motherboard (Rev A03)

SMSC BIOS chipset

Windows XP SP3 Operating System @ Single Partition

Components:

CD/DVD +/- Drive (Power & Data)

SATA HDD - 750GB (Power & Data)

2x 2GB DDR2 RAM Module(s)

Connections:

PSU 210W - Factory

20-pin psu (power supply unit) to motherboard, 4-pin 12V psu to motherboard, psu to sata,

psu to cd/dvd drive

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=84277

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=84278

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=84279
Yoshistr Support Team

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users