Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choose a wireless network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevo2000

stevo2000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Hello.. I am having trouble with connecting to our linksys WRT54GS router with a laptop/xp pro s/p 2. This has been used on this router for a good couple of years. Usually we have three laptops connected , 2x xp (identical HP l/tops)& a Hp using vista.The vista l/top was the first one to decide not to connect,but after configuring the router managed to get it to connect. Now have problems with just one of the hp xp l/tops...I go to "choose a wireless network" I can see our named router,click the connect button, and the window (comes up with the moving green progress bar that says please wait while windows connects to "family" network)then after approx 30 secs, reverts back to "choose a wireless network window. have copied pretty much the same settings as the identical l/top but it just won't connect..is there something i can try ? btw the l/top connects ok using an ethernet cable to the router... Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Sorry for the long winded post.....Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

On the XP machine try to remove the network from your list. Go to the control panel under Network and select your wireless network connection and right click on it and select properties. On the wireless networks tab go down to where you see "family" and select it and then remove it. then go back to your available networks and type in the password if you have one and see if that works.

The other thing that I would do is go to the HP website and download the latest drivers for your wireless network card. I have seen this same problem in older drivers and a installing the latest drivers fixes it.

uByte

#3 stevo2000

stevo2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for your reply.. Managed to work out why i couldn't log on. I had restricted my router to 4 users,then found out my daughters boyfriend was logging on with his new iPhone!this made 5 users in all. Only took me several hours to work this one out. :blink: :wink: :lmao: :thumbup2:

#4 richellemedina

richellemedina

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

I want to refer about wireless network in computing.Wireless network is often associated with a telecommunications network interconnections between nodes is performed without use of a child. Wireless networks use electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, the air carrier and this implementation usually takes place at the physical level or "layer" of the network.

#5 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for your reply.. Managed to work out why i couldn't log on. I had restricted my router to 4 users,then found out my daughters boyfriend was logging on with his new iPhone!this made 5 users in all. Only took me several hours to work this one out. :blink: :wink: :lmao: :thumbup2:

Did you increase the amount of users? there is an option in the router to do that.

#6 stevo2000

stevo2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Did you increase the amount of users? there is an option in the router to do that.

Yes, changed it straight away thanks. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users