Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some advice and help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sutton7

sutton7

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

Need some advice. I may have screwed up. A friend of mine received an HP Pavillion DV6700 Notebook and the OS was Vista Home Premium w/Service Pack 1. The processor is a 2 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile technology TL-60. She did not want Vista in the machine and asked if I could change it to XP. I thought I had read that the Turion chip was backward compatible to 32 bit OS. I installed XP Pro SP2 and upgraded to SP3.

Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to load in the network card software to gain access to the Internet to do the upgrades. None of the software is working as most of it is for Vista 64. What makes this worse is that when I did check on the backwards capability it was for the AMD Athion 64 processor, not the Turion.

Are there any suggestions as to what I should do to get the system up and running? I guess the last resort would be to get a recovery disk from HP as none come with the computer. It had the usual recovery partition on the hard drive which is gone now.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

After the installing XP did you install all XP drivers starting with the chipset driver?

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

This is the XP network driver
on HP site. (for WIFI) Try installing.
This PC supports XP.

I believe this is the wired driver.
From HP site
They did not list it on the site under this PC, yet it came up in a search.

Realtek RTL8101 <<<Is that what it is?

This is the driver download page directly from realtek
It's the 1st one on the list.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 14 January 2011 - 01:17 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 sutton7

sutton7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

{After the installing XP did you install all XP drivers starting with the chipset driver?}

Allen,
No, I did not install XP drivers to the chip set. I was hoping to get up on the HP site and download the drivers that I would need. I will not be able to try anything until I get home tonight. I will place the drivers on a flash drive and install them into the designated computer.
Thanks

#5 sutton7

sutton7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

[Realtek RTL8101 <<<Is that what it is?]

Frank of the MountaiN:

I believe it is a Realtek but comes up as a ‘Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN’ on the Hardware listing. I will try the WiFi software when I get home tonight.

This is the part I found most interesting in your response.
[This PC supports XP] Even though it is a 64 bit processor?

That gives hope that I can get it up and running under XP Pro. Just have to find the right drivers. I will go to Realtek and download those drivers when I get home. Will update results later.

Thanks for the info and help.

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Check back and let us know, good luck.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

Chipset driver first, followed by the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users