Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Sooo Happy!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 missbitti

missbitti

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

THANKYOU all so much! I can on-line bank again (lol)!!! (not that I'm too lazy to go downtown).
I finally got my machine tuned back into shape and I'm
ashamed to say, that in the end...after 18 days, and hours upon hours of trying all of your suggestions,
I reread every piece of info and realized I still had the expired Norton firewall on and immediately after removing it and starting up again...ping, ping, pong I'm up and away! Of course I have this 4inch x 4 inch Mcafee advisory in the right hand corner of my screen and I can't read anything in that corner. I guess thats the next thing I get to 'play' with.
I thought I'd also let you know that error number 80048820 is also associated with 80072ee7
(I found a ton on google with my same problems).
Thanks tons all. Don't really know how to chat in the forums or rooms yet but I'll do this new topic thing when I get caught up to my missed "computer-work". Thanks again, Judi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

Congrats on finding the fix! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:51 AM

That's GREAT!!!!

When you get sick of the McAfee and Norton stuff - we've got a bunch of suggestions for free programs that work (IMO) better than Norton and McAfee do.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:04 PM

Since you brought it up usasma :thumbsup:
Here is a ist of freware alternatives. Not only are they free, but require less resources.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free
SpyBlaster
SpywareGuard

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools

Utility
cCleaner
Everest home (hardware and software information)DISCONTINUED
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls
Zone Alarm
SyGate Personal Edition
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

Nice list acklan! Mind if I copy it for my "kit bag"?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

I like to think of it as a "GMU" license. General Members Useage License. :thumbsup: Sure be my guest.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Sjoerd-

Sjoerd-

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

In a lot of cases Norton Internet Security or Norton AntiVirus are the cause of the 80048820 error.

Also see: error code 80048820

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users