Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor fan has become extremely loud?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gtracer

Gtracer

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

I've got too many computer problems, but I'll go ahead and ask this one, since it's bothering me the most. :lol:

Last night, I couldn't sleep, so I got the internet to read some stuff. After about twenty minutes, I click a link to Amazon.

Then, my computer gets REALLY loud. We have several loud computers in my house, but this was almost as loud as the one we have from 2002 when it was overheating. So, me, being frightened, I decided to wait it out. After about three minutes, it settled back to the "I can hardly hear it" sound level.

Then again, almost exactly an hour later, again. Except it went on for twenty minutes before I shut off the computer.

Turned it on this morning, and it's still loud on start up. Let it run for five minutes, and it's back to where I can't hear it very well right now. Except there's some really low, almost "click" noise I'd say.

There's no dust (at least not very much) in it at the moment, I cleaned it approx. two days ago when I needed to check some stuff in it. Also, system is running at like, 39 C, if that's "Warm" at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did it when I was gaming, but it was doing it when I had two tabs up, and nothing else. :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Except there's some really low, almost "click" noise I'd say

Coming from a hard drive maybe?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

Might well be the hard drive but it could also be a fan.
Pop the case and take a look at the CPU cooling fan on top of the processor to see if it is spinning and not oscilating.

You could also power down the system and temporarily disconnect the CPU fan power loead from the motherboard to see if the problem goes away. Dont let the ssytem run long this way though as it could get hot real fast!

Edited by Eyesee, 14 January 2011 - 12:56 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

If the fan is fine, take a pencil, or a chop stick, put one end to the hard drive and the other one to your ear.
You'll be able to tell, if the click comes from the drive, or not.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Gtracer

Gtracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Might well be the hard drive but it could also be a fan.
Pop the case and take a look at the CPU cooling fan on top of the processor to see if it is spinning and not oscilating.

You could also power down the system and temporarily disconnect the CPU fan power loead from the motherboard to see if the problem goes away. Dont let the ssytem run long this way though as it could get hot real fast!

The fan's fine, I'm looking at it right now. The computers been on since I've posted the topic, and no noise yet. I'll keep you guys updated. :thumbup2:

If the fan is fine, take a pencil, or a chop stick, put one end to the hard drive and the other one to your ear.
You'll be able to tell, if the click comes from the drive, or not.

Alright, will do! :)

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

take a pencil, or a chop stick, put one end to the hard drive and the other one to your ear.

The chop stick test.
Now thats what I call a low tech solution to a high tech problem!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,719 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hahaha....

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users