Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certificate Error - Navigation Blocked (Windows Explorer)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HeadDesk

HeadDesk

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

Sorry to bother Bleeping Computer again! I'm not sure whether a problem I'm having is due to noobness or indicates infection with malware.

I've been noticing my computer is very slow and uncooperative, often needing multiple access attempts or to be refreshed in order to download or display. I thought nothing of it... until I tried to check my email. And my facebook. And my one of my favourite forums.

I keep receiving the same error message on a few sites, about the security certificate being expired and content being blocked.
Pic http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=251377&l=ff96c571ac&id=100001338721987

I Googled and found an article which said it could be related to 1. time and date on my computer 2. the certificate could be genuinely expired, or 3. it could be malware.

I don't think all of the security certificates were expired, because it's a few sites. So I ran a full system scan using Avast! and found no threat. I changed the date and time as recommended - but then I received another error message when I clicked 'update' to synchronise with the internet time server. Pic http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=251378&l=1c5f1424b0&id=100001338721987

Also I keep getting an error message when I try to get Windows updates. Pic http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=251385&l=4a0acaa576&id=100001338721987

I confess, I have bypassed them because I really needed to access my emails. Don't kill me :(
Is there a way for me to find out what's causing all this and fix it?

Thanks, HeadDesk

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2011 - 02:21 PM.
Fixed linksm merged duplicate topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

but then I received another error message when I clicked 'update' to synchronise with the internet time server

Try different server.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thans, I'll try another. I saw a few but wasn't sure which to select...

Randomly selected time.nist.gov, let's see what that does :/

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Are you current with XP critical updates?

What AV program is installed? Can you download updates from the respective website?

Can you run regedit? Start/Run...type regedit.

Louis

#5 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

I went through and tried synchronising each server option in turn, there was an error with every one.

Are you current with XP critical updates?

What AV program is installed? Can you download updates from the respective website?

Can you run regedit? Start/Run...type regedit.

Louis

I have Vista, I keep getting an error message(Unknown error 80072F8F)when I check for updates so it might not be current.
I have the free version of Avast!, and it's preset to automatically download the updates from the site.

Er, sorry - I've found 'regedit' and there are folders, but what do I do from there?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:15 PM

You don't need to do anything with regedit :). One of the symptoms of some malware items is the inability to accesss that function.

Sorry, sometimes I forget that I'm not in the XP forum, where I usually hang out :).

Try to manually update your AV, please and let us know if you can.

Louis

#7 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Oh, ok. Thanks, I could access regedit.

I've manually updated the Avast!, had no problems.

#8 HeadDesk

HeadDesk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

^ Whoops, that was badly worded - I meant that I had no problems with updating Avast!. I'm still getting my navigation blocked, but more importantly I can't access Windows Updates.

Sorry if this is bumping and not allowed (is it?), but I've been told not updating Windows could lead to problems/infection. Is there anything I should try to be able to update?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by HeadDesk, 18 January 2011 - 09:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users