Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winantivirus2006?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Tippett

Greg Tippett

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:32 PM

someone's trying to tell me something...

my Dell PC came with a year of Norton, so that's what I've been using... a few weeks ago I started having trouble with 'Winfixer' and just figured it was regular spyware; I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of it since... (I've done all the steps and have a post in HJT analysis)

but here's my question: WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE??? I'm interested because they seem to have a point to make... my Norton aparently recieved an update, ran a scan , and removed Winfixer, and then IMMEDIETY another screen promoting WINANTIVIRUSPRO2006 came up to tell me about their imaginary product... the whole thing was a comparison to Norton AntiVirus to show how crappy (and expensive) Norton was! In big letters across the top of the ad it reads: "Your Norton AntiVirus Software is NOT EFFECTIVE!!!"

complete with feature analysis and 'user testimonials'... my computer IS screwing up because of SOMETHING, but it also seems like the Winfixer people are trying to make a point...?

any thoughts? links to articles or information about this stuff?

thanks,
Greg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:17 PM

Take a look at this link.
JC

#3 Greg Tippett

Greg Tippett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:20 AM

thanks for the link. I've turned of that option in my IE, and posted about the Mozilla.

still, since I've already 'got' it (I think I might have clicked 'ok' by accident when that very first pop-up happened, but it still takes me throught the whole damn procedure of hijacking and pop-ups at least once a day...) I'm not sure what to do now, (other than the HJT log which I am working on.)

it was weird how much it was being done to specifically poke fun at Norton - which more than one tech-savy person has told me does indeed suck. almost like a 'billboard terrorism', 'activism' sort of thing.

-G

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users