Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Antivirus8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Galric City

Galric City

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hello,
Have used this to research many problems and appreciate all the great info, now I'm stumped and need some help.
I just worked on a friends computer. Gateway GX7022E. Had tons of virus and malware. Ran Malwarebytes, Avast 5 Boot scan, and Hitman pro. Fully updated with all microsoft updates. Rescanned again, came up clean. After about 8 hours came up with Antivirus 8. Rescanned with Malwarebytes, left the fake anti virus alert up just to see how quick it showed up, assumed it must be in memory at this time, heck it was on the screen, but nothing, scanned clean. Obviously I missed something the first time around, assuming that's how Antivirus 8 got in. Unless it just got lucky but seems unlikely to me. Any help would be appreciated. Not worried about data, could simply reload but I don't like being beaten by the criminals.
Thanks, GCCAN

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 January 2011 - 08:54 AM.
Moved from XP to AII. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galric City

Galric City
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

Forgot to mention XP Pro SP3 Media Edition 2005, Pentium D 2GB ram.

#3 Galric City

Galric City
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Update:
I followed the uninstall guide on this site and had renamed the mbam executable to iexplore as recommended, after scanning and finding nothing in safe mode exit to multi user mode (oops my unix is showing)and trying to execute the iexplore (mbam) it would bring up obviously fake "internet explore in emergency mode".
Since Malwarebytes ran clean I decided to delete the AV8 folder in program files, from experience with thinkpoint virus and it's removal process. Restarted and Antivirus8 does not start any more, however clicking on firefox or ie causes an obviously fake "internet explore in emergency mode". Went into safe mode as admin. uninstalled Malwarebytes, reinstalled and updated, changed program file directory to install into directory named junk, renamed mbam executable to frank. Running now in safe mode, got through registry and mem processes, found nothing currently scanning filesystem, expect to find nothing again, tricky bastards they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users