Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

is it hard for a novice to replace a hard drive? not somuch the mechanical part, but the bios stuff and formatting and re-installing windows xp? i have a used computer, so i do not have a windows xp installation cd, so i'm not sure how i would load windows.

i currently have a WD 80 GB 7200 RPM SATA II Hard Drive With 8 MB Cache. would any SATA hard drive be compatible?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris_Pool

Chris_Pool

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

SATA is universal. Any SATA drive will work in your computer.

There is only one problem, and that is if both the drive space is huge and your motherboard is old. If both of those things occur, the drive will still WORK, but its capacity might be reported as being lower. If that happens, you'll need to flash your bios, but only if you even needed the extra space in the first place.

Why do you need to replace the hard drive? The computer will have space for more than one hard drive.
If you have no Windows installation disc, you have two options.

1. Clone the drive. Windows has anti-piracy features that will prevent it from working if you change the motherboard. If you don't change your motherboard, cloning the drive should work for you. (If your hard drive is dead, this is not an option for you).

2. Install a modern GNU/Linux distro such as Ubuntu, Mint, or Debian. :)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

actually, for several reasons, i realize i need to use an external hard drive. i have 1 that is usb 3.0 comnpatible. my computer is not. What is the best way to increase the hard drive performance? A PCI Express eSATA Controller Card with usb 3.0 connectors?

I have a Gateway E-4500S desktop with:

•One PCI Express ×16
•One PCI Express ×1
•Two PCI 2.3

Not sure which to use, and I'm not sure if a new card would automatically fit. I would have to remove a card, right, so that physcial space opens up on the exterior of the computer to make room for the new usb connection sites?

Thanks.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Your computer has USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 is backward compatible with the 2.0.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users