Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS KB976902 Update HIjacked my Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandyBmore

RandyBmore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Lat night my computer installed an automatic update for Windows (KB976902) and now I can no longer connect to the internet. (I have tried wireless and a direct ethernet cable to the router) (Other PCs still have connection) I have disabled my anti-viruses and done a system restore to a point prior to this update and reset my computer to not automatically install updates but to ask me first. This would not remove this update, so I went to add/remove programs - windows updates and removed the 3 that installed last night. WINDOWS KB976902 won't uninstall, it says that it is needed but it wasn't needed yesterday. I can't get on commercial browsers ie Firefox, Internet Explorer but I can on my own custom web browser. Aside from a complete restore, is there anything I can do to remedy this?
I appreciate your help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:54 AM

Any error messages that pop up when you are trying to connect?

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

Thought that update rang an alarm bell.

Info about KB976902.

It has a bit of a past history and MS is mute on the exact reason for the update and what it is\does.

A knowledge base article explaining which problem it was intended to fix was initially conspicuous by its absence. The update then vanished, before reappearing a short time later and now it has been 're-released'. An explanation as to why this is the case has not been forthcoming. The update is not yet being installed automatically.

Bold text added by me. I guess that has changed.

Edited by ThunderZ, 14 January 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#4 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

I installed KB976902 and have encountered no problems with it. It has become affectionately known as "The Black-hole update" at Microsoft Answers Forum because of the initial lack of documentation when it was first released. I still get alerts when someone replies to it, but I can't find it anywhere, must've fell into its own "Black hole"! If I get another alert, I'll post a link for it here. I don't think it's causing your problems, but if it is, it cannot be removed. A total reinstall of Windows would be necessary to remove it as far as I know. Do you have any errors in Event Viewer that might help?

I found it in my iPhone's email junk folder: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/ebd18ad2-cae7-4513-91d1-35b45467446d/
...and then there's this: http://cubicspot.blogspot.com/2010/10/kb976902-black-hole-update.html
...and my favorite(ha-ha): http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=670

Edited by Zuhl3156, 14 January 2011 - 08:50 AM.

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

I have installed KB976902 and have no problems with it. I have been Beta testing Windows7 SP1 since it came out tho' :huh:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 luvbytes

luvbytes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

The same thing happened to me.. suddenly all at once ie, google chrome, firefox wouldnt open or my computer would crash when I tried to open them... i finally had to do a complete reinstallation of windows.. I couldnt do anything else!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users