Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redglare

redglare

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

My PC with Wndows XP has been running just fine. Today I was unable to boot it up. When trying to do so I always get a message saying "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter." In the PC I can hear a whirring sound, a couple of clicks and then it repeats. Has the hard drive crashed or do you think I may have a chance to recover? The hard drive is about four years old. Thank you.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 14 January 2011 - 01:32 AM.
Moved to Internal Hardware. ~BZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:06 AM

In the PC I can hear a whirring sound, a couple of clicks and then it repeats.

Please investigate where the whirring and clicking is coming from: Try to track the sounds to their source.
  • hard disk drive?
  • floppy disk drive?
  • other?

If necessary, remove the side of the box if a PC desktop/tower, or take the cover off if it is a laptop.
Edit: Make sure that you earth yourself to part of the metal case before touching any internal component, and stay well away from fans and electrical wiring or connections.
Let us know what you discover.

If you think the problem is with a hard disk drive, please report the manufacturer name on the hard disk drive itself.

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 January 2011 - 12:22 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:23 AM

If this is a desktop computer, try this.

Sound will travel through a solid object. Mechanic use this principal to isolate engine noises.

Take a long handled wooden or plastic (no metal) spoon and place the spoon end to your ear and the handle end on the different pieces of hardware in the case. I would suggest listening to the hdd first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 redglare

redglare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:45 AM

Its definitely coming from the hard drive. I guess this is what a crashed hard drive sounds like!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

That clicking noise is known as "the click of death". This is what a dying hdd sounds like.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users