Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's wrong with my WD My Book 1TB?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Noah Tree

Noah Tree

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

I was listening to music on my WD when my PC notified me to install some Windows updates. I did so and restarted the computer afterward. I left during the restart because I had a dentist appointment. When I came back from the dentist was when I realized something was wrong my external hardware. Everything was deleted. My movies, music, etc. Also, it was in a different format (RAW). When I click on it, it ask me to format it. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Why is everything on my WD My Book gone?
2, Why is my WD in a different format?
3. What caused this? (Did it have something to do with the update?)
4. Can I get all my deleted files back?
5. What happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

Wow I hate when this happens... :thumbsup:

In answer to your questions:
More than likely it is a different format because when you left your computer updating it restarted and then sometimes when it does not recognize a drive (hard-drive, flash-drive) it will reformatted automatically to recognize it.
For example: If you leave a flash drive plugged into a usb port, and then restart your computer sometimes when the computer restarts Windows will recognize this drive and will start to re-formatting it.(unless you press space to cancel!) <_<

Why it got deleted can be a variety of reasons there is really no logical explanation that I can think of, other than the software update restarting and cleaning that hard-drive clean... Window update sucks especially on Windows Vista... :wacko:

What type of operating system is this?

As far as getting your data back you can get a re-covery software to access all your files and most of the time even if they have been deleted.
Try this...
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Good luck :thumbup2:

Edited by JUICYboy, 13 January 2011 - 11:27 PM.

#3 Noah Tree

Noah Tree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Wow I hate when this happens... :thumbsup:

In answer to your questions:
More than likely it is a different format because when you left your computer updating it restarted and then sometimes when it does not recognize a drive (hard-drive, flash-drive) it will reformatted automatically to recognize it.
For example: If you leave a flash drive plugged into a usb port, and then restart your computer sometimes when the computer restarts Windows will recognize this drive and will start to re-formatting it.(unless you press space to cancel!) <_<

Why it got deleted can be a variety of reasons there is really no logical explanation that I can think of, other than the software update restarting and cleaning that hard-drive clean... Window update sucks especially on Windows Vista... :wacko:

What type of operating system is this?

As far as getting your data back you can get a re-covery software to access all your files and most of the time even if they have been deleted.
Try this...
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Good luck :thumbup2:

I think you're right. Doing this resulted in my hard drive getting corrupted/damaged. I'm planning on buying the same hard drive again, some time next week. This time, I won't leave it plugged in when I restart the PC. Thanks for the help and info, much appreciated.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

One other possible fix. Most external drives, flash drives as well come formatted fat32. Before using them for any data storage format them to NTFS. That should eliminate the problem of Windows not recognizing them on start-up.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Converting FAT32 to NTFS

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

I have found another issue with WD external harddrive that kinda matches this issue - I left mine in when the system was doing a chkdsk and it just happened to see the drive and started to check it too (not what I wanted) - I disconnected my external drive right away, but got a bunch of extra files, all kinda like the folder format that existed before the chkdsk, but with wierd names. Was never able to delete them, but got all my files anyway.

My advice - never leave anything in your computer during reboot that can be written to - you never know what might be written (or removed) from it.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Also i would take out any cd in the drive and any usb storage devices before rebooting.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Also i would take out any cd in the drive and any usb storage devices before rebooting.

As long as the BIOS are set with the primary hard drive as the first boot device and the flash drives\external drives are formatted in NTFS it should not matter.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

RAW Volume (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36698

Typically...a volume reflects RAW when the file system has a problem. Windows consequently cannot read/interpret any files within that partition.

My typical routine when this happens...is to first employ data-recovery software to retrieve files (if not already backed up), then just deletet the partition and then create a new one. I've tried a few of the suggestions others have made about "fixing" the problem, but none of those ever worked for me.

CHKDSK error message - The type of the file system is RAW - http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2011 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users