Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Processes for Win32 error and Redirect Bug

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nickerbocker

nickerbocker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:11 PM

Edit: Windows XP SP3

Shortly after start up, a windows pop-up will say "generic host process for win32 services has encountered an error and needs to close..." Once that pop-up comes, all hell breaks loose. Programs will freeze at random and will not open up again. After awhile, the screen will "blink" and all the desktop icons will look like they're being reloaded, and both the taskbar and all of the programs that didn't freeze already will change from that typical Window XP blue color to a very basic-looking tan/beige color. When i hit ctrl+alt+del, task manager won't pop up, my taskbar is gone, and the desktop is completely blank. I have to hold down the power button to restart. I restart about 5 or 6 times a day.

Around the same time this started happening, I noticed I have the "google re-direct" bug as well. Not sure if they're related, or how long I'd been having that one.

This is affecting my work computer, and I can't get anything done restarting every half an hour. I'm open to any help at all

Thanks!

Edited by nickerbocker, 13 January 2011 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:05 AM

Does Safe Mode work (relatively) normal? If so, try to follow the steps in this guide from safe mode with networking.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 nickerbocker

nickerbocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

This seems to have worked. I followed the TDSSkiller guide, and it appears to have removed it. Pretty simple...thanks!

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

I'm glad to hear that. Please let me know if you have any problem left.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users