Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden folder permission issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lady T

Lady T

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

All of a sudden I have locked out of many folders due to permission. What I don't understand is I am the admin and they all show admin as the owner. Making me crazy and taken a long time to fix each one if it will let me at all. Is there anyway to an easy fix. These are all files I have been in many times and now I'm locked out.
Lady T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, W7 permissions can be finicky.

Easy way: http://www.blogsdna.com/2173/add-take-ownership-option-in-right-click-context-menu-of-windows-7.htm

More comprehensive way: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

Subinacl is a powerful tool. If you use it be sure you have a backup of your registry or a disk image first. I've used it many times and if you follow all instructions it is safe and effective.

#3 Lady T

Lady T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

Thanks much, I will try the easy way 1st. Is there any reason it would block the owner or is a common bug. It has been so frustrating.
Lady T

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

You know, I'd like to tell you I know why this happens to some folks and not others but I don't. I've seen all sorts of thoughts on the matter, some saying it's the user's fault, others blaming the OS. I do know it happens more on upgrades than fresh installs but in the end W7 can display "permission schizophrenia" at any time - but not for everyone. Running a subinacl script to change ownership on all registry keys and on folders will generally be a permanent fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users