Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell c600 laptop hardrivissues No Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chanman

chanman

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Ok first of all bought laptop used worked great for long time then all of a sudden blue screen of death with the message (inaccesible boot drive) So after countless hours searching the web for causes came up with the hard drive bad. So ordered another hard drive swapped the adapter over plugged it in Bios recognizes it but comes up with "Primary hard disk drive 0 failure" "No bootable devices". Tried running windows recovery and install disk countless times with no success (always comes up with some error or in the manual install says there is no harddrive to install on). Although with the old drive during the reinstall try I would only get the blue screen of death with the new drive it just comes up with errors and needs to exit. So I spent another 6 hours trying to burn and run hard drive utility disks from hitachi (brand of new drive) and once again get countless errors (hitachi disposition code=0x71) and (trying to use program on non HGST drive when the program will only work for HGST). Now I am stuck and cant figure out any other options to make this work. Last thing I looked at was everyone said cmos batttery dead. Well bios does keep memory for awhile but after no use for weeks it wont keep it. Took battery out says 7.5V tested at 6.7V so not to far off but not new either. Can anyone point me in the right direction to somehow install windows on this new drive and make it boot up? Thanks.

Edited by chanman, 13 January 2011 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Well...if this was a desktop, all the symptoms that you report would make me say "replace the CMOS battery" and then reset the CMOS and save it.

I don't know anything about laptops, other than the fact that the RTC (real-time clock) battery is the name used for what I would call the CMOS battery.

http://www.batteries.com/laptop/dell/latitude-c600-battery_R-412171-204646.html

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#3 chanman

chanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

I guess my question about that is the bios is recognizing the old hard drive and the new one but the old drive says no bootable device when the new one just states there is no drive available. Can or will this battery cause the problem? when its installed it reads 5.7 volts and when its out it reads 7.1 volts.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

It would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users