Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My windows xp keeps rebooting.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 L.messi

L.messi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

I used my other computer one night and turned it off when i finished. I had performed a scan on Spybot and Malwarebytes'. According to my brother the scans came up with nothing wrong (except for tracking cookies on Spybot), despite this Malwarebytes' asked him to restart.
The next morning i turned on my computer and then it keeps rebooting. It doesn't even reach to the Windows XP loading stage. My brother told me this problem occurred when the computer restarted last night.
WHen booting up it goes to the screen saying: Verifying DMI Pool data ........ (this is normal)
But then at the bottom a new messages pops up saying: boot from CD/DVD
It then goes to the screen saying: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows failed to start successfully....."
It has the options to start normally or with the various safe modes. My wireless keyboard at this point doesn't work.
I later connected a different keyboard to the computer and it worked (this time it was wired).
When the computer rebooted again I pressed F8 and tried to start windows in 'safe mode with networking' which leads me to another screen where I select Microsoft Windows XP Professional. Safe mode also failed to start up and made the computer reboot. I tried safe mode with command prompt which too failed.
I later click F8 again, when the computer rebooted, and selected disable automatic restart on system failure and then selected Microsoft Windows XP Professional.
It came up with a blue screen saying "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."
The problem was:
IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0X00000069 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)
I don't know what is wrong but I'm hoping its not a virus or trojan problem.
Thank you for any help available.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

<<STOP: 0X00000069>>

Hmmm...that appears to be an error reserved for Win 2K systems, none other.

The Verifying DMI Pool halt...is often an indication of wrong boot device selection, IME.

I don't use Malwarebytes often...but I've never known any malware protection program to require a reboot unless it needs such to remove items discovered during scanning.

I don't know what to make of the symptoms you describe, to be honest.

Louis

#3 L.messi

L.messi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

I also thought it was a bit strange because before I went to sleep I saw 2 objects infected according to Malwarebytes' scan. My brother stated that he was certain he didn't touch anything but the message from Malwarebytes' that asked him to restart. Normally you're meant to click 'see results', which brings you to the results screen and then you clicked 'remove selected' if there is an infected object. After that it comes up with a log and asks you to restart.
My brother said he manually turned off the computer after he saw the computer repeatedly reboot.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

I'll put this on the Unbootable Computers List, seems to be the right move for now.

One of the BC Malware Team personnel will have a look at it, but it probably won't happen immediately...so be patient :).

Louis

#5 L.messi

L.messi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Thank you

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:00 AM

You now have three different topics regarding an unbootable computer: the one I helped you with, this one, and the one about ntldr missing. Please let me know if this is all about the same computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#7 L.messi

L.messi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:55 AM

Elise we have 3 computer at home the one I'm using now is the one you helped me with last time. My HP computer is the one that keeps rebooting and my ASUS laptop is the one with the missing nldr.
Thanks

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:01 AM

Thank you for the clarification.

When attempting to start in safe mode, do you see drivers rolling over the screen? If so, what is the last one you see before the BSOD?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#9 L.messi

L.messi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

When I attempt to start in safe mode nothing happens. I select safe mode with networking then i select microsoft windows xp professional then i see drivers rolling over the screen before it shuts down and restarts. I don't see the BSOD until i select 'disable automatic restart on system failure.'
Though when i click 'last good configurations' the computer started normally. Is there still something wrong with computer though?
I also noticed that it keeps saying local area connection has limited or no connectivity which is strange as the computer i'm on now uses the same netwok and works fine.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,314 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:19 AM

Okay, if Last Known Good Configuration works, it means the problem lies within the registry.

Can you run MBAM from there and post me the log?

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users