Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soda spilled on laptop!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sunshinydays

sunshinydays

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Ooops, someone spilled soda on my laptop! Computer (Dell Inspiron E1705) does not start...power light stays on for less than 3 seconds...is there any hope for saving anything (pictures, files, etc.)? I did turn it upside down, and used a cool blowdryer on the bottom surface, but with no luck! This site helped me save my computer last time when a virus attacked it, so I am hopeful! Thanks again! Sunshinydays

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi sunshinydays.

Unfortunately your situation is not good. You've most likely got some serious hardware failure. When you attempt to boot, do any of the lights on the machine blink in any sort of pattern?

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hi Blade Zephon,
The media control lights (bottom front panel) and the display lights (media) went on at first, also the Bluetooth wireless light went on (never saw that light before). Now, the only light that goes on is the power light, but it doesn't stay on. This happened on Sunday night, so I was hoping it would dry out by now! Thanks, Sunshinydays.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Hello.

Your computer is failing POST. Given the circumstantial evidence I would hypothesize that your motherboard or PSU is fried. Or both. You will likely need to replace the keyboard as well. However, I can't be certain without being able to physically examine the computer. If the machine is still under Dell CompleteCare warranty, you can contact them and they will make arrangements to have your machine repaired at no charge. If it's not under that warranty, you should still be able to contact them for repairs. Or, if you prefer you can take it to a local repair shop.

Sorry I don't have better news.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 13 January 2011 - 03:46 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Side note.

It is very possible the data on the hard drive is still intact and safe. Whether you attempt to recover it yourself or allow a local shop to do it is up to you.

I do not think Dell offers such a service. But have never dealt with them so I am not sure.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

You might be able to rescue your data though.

You could take the hard drive out and attach it to a tower system to see if you can read the drive and extract your data. Here is how to remove the drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi Blade,

POST is failing? And what exactly does that entail? The computer genius that I am...I take it the Motherboard is all the circuitry and the PSU is all my precious pictures, files and videos?? Is there a way to take out the component that stores all your memory and put it into another laptop? Thanks, Sunshinydays

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Hi sunshinydays.

POST stands for Power On Self Test. It is a series of routines that the machine runs each time power is supplied (meaning each time you turn it on. during POST a number of things occur, one of which is the verification of the integrity of critical components. In layman's terms, your computer is doing a self check before it begins to boot, much like some people will run down a checklist before leaving the house in the morning.

I take it the Motherboard is all the circuitry and the PSU is all my precious pictures, files and videos??

No, all of your information is stored on the Hard Drive, which is likely still functional. You should be able to recover your data. A local repair shop can do this for you, or you can do it yourself if you purchase a special cable and have another computer to move the data to. As Eyesee mentioned above, the process to remove the hard drive can be found Here.

Is there a way to take out the component that stores all your memory and put it into another laptop?

Yes, as mentioned above you can remove the hard drive. However, due to the way Windows protects against piracy you can't just "put it in another laptop." You will need to attach the drive as a secondary, or "slave", drive. This is done using a special cable that connects the drive to a USB port. Note that the kind of cable you need differs depending on what kind of hard drive you have in your computer. The type of hard drive should be printed on the drive itself, so you will need to remove the drive to get this information. Based on what I'm seeing here I think you'll have a SATA drive, but I can't be sure.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 13 January 2011 - 04:33 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#9 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Thunder Z for the reply! Uplifting hope for the hard drive!
Sunshinydays

#10 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi Eyesee,

I did go to the site with the instructions on how to remove the hard drive. Do you really need antistatic packaging to put the hard drive in? And do you buy that at a computer store? Thanks, Sunshinydays

#11 sunshinydays

sunshinydays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Wow Blade,

You are truly what your name signifies; System Guardian. Thanks for all the info. You have a way with words as well!
Sunshinydays

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

Glad I could help!

As for buying Antistatic bags, you might be able to find them at an electronics store such as Radio Shack. I think Walmart actually sells them as well, but I've never bought them there. The best place to get them would be online from a shipping supplier. Here's a link http://www.uline.com/Grp_2/Static-Shielding-Bags

Edited by Blade Zephon, 13 January 2011 - 04:57 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

I think its a SATA drive as well but we cant be sure until its taken out of the system.
Chances are pretty good that you will be able to recover your data from it.

Do you have acces to a tower system that the drive could be connected to?
If the drive is SATA (which it probably is) and the tower system supports SATA drives (which most newer systems do) its a simple matter of conncting the drive with a SATA data cable and connecting a power lead to it.

Certainly worth trying. The data cable should be less than 10 bucks.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Just a suggested alternative idea here.
You can buy a used laptop on ebay for 2-300 bucks, and swap the old hard drive into that one.
Much cheaper than the repair bill from dell if you are out of warranty, and most likely you would
be in a pre-soda state in about 4 days, data and settings intact.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 13 January 2011 - 05:45 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#15 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

Just a suggested alternative idea here.
You can buy a used laptop on ebay for 2-300 bucks, and swap the old hard drive into that one.
Much cheaper than the repair bill from dell if you are out of warranty, and most likely you would
be in a pre-soda state in about 4 days, data and settings intact.

Unfortunately Windows won't allow you to do this; it will trip the anti-piracy measures built into the OS.

animinionsmalltext.gif
Follow us on Twitter!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users