Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unaccounted for Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I have a 1TB Hard drive with 815GB used according to properties. When I open my drive at the root I set it up so I can view hidden and operating system protected files select everything and do a right click properties. under properties it says that everything should only take up 564GB on the hard drive. where did all my space go?

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

System Restore takes up a good deal of space. Also Recycle Bin, Temporary Internet Files, etc. If you want to see what is using space download and run treesize: http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

#3 deesto

deesto

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Disk Space Fan is also simple to use and effective: just choose a drive and click Scan. Also, take a look in C:\Windows\winsxs, which is notorious for holding automated system backup files in Vista and 7 that nobody uses and swallowing disk space. It's currently using up about 10% of my drive's total capacity.

#4 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

Well I tried both programs and both say the same thing. I'm missing about 200GB. I thought that maybe it could be corrupted sectors but if that were the case wouldn't the max size of my disk go down instead of the usage going up?

CPU = Intel i7 950

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with bad sectors but by all means let's make sure. Open an elevated command prompt. Type: chkdsk /r and press ENTER. You'll be told the disk is locked and asked if you want to run it at the next boot. Say yes. Exit the command prompt and reboot. Checkdisk will take a while to complete - let it do so.

#6 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

disk check turned up nothing as well. I am out of ideas as to what has happened.

CPU = Intel i7 950

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

First...a 1TB drive yields 930GB of actual partition/useable space. You never had 1TB of useable, partitionable hard drive space.

930GB minus your pagefile, hibernation file, items in the Recycle Bin, and partition free space...leaves what should be reflected for a drive that is fully formatted and contains no hidden partitions. All of this should be viewable via tools like TreeSize.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#8 boneycur

boneycur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

A free download of Treesize -- http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ -- helped me quickly locate the reason my hard drive had suddenly filled up: Somehow Crashplan was set to back up my computer to itself! I deleted that misguided backup and freed up 150GB in a few minutes. Whew! No virus!

..........Curtis..........

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

A free download of Treesize -- http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ -- helped me quickly locate the reason my hard drive had suddenly filled up: Somehow Crashplan was set to back up my computer to itself! I deleted that misguided backup and freed up 150GB in a few minutes. Whew! No virus!

..........Curtis..........

I agree, which is why that was the first thing suggested above :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users