Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading an operating system into Memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

So, for some time here i have wondered if it is possible to force an operating system and/or specific programs to load completely into memory? The goal of this being to reduce or nullify the number of disk I/O operations that the computer has to executed during use, as this is a bottleneck in performance.

//Dave
//Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

There are some very old OS`s that ran from memory. This was back in the day of no hard drives. Machines booted from floppies, loaded to memory, ran from memory, were cleared from memory every shut-down.

Today`s OS`s are far to large. The amount of memory required not including third party installed apps would be exceedingly large.

#3 The Pugilist

The Pugilist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

im talking about doing this with a system of 12-24 GB of memory, not really for any normal situation.
//Dave

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

I know there used to be a registry tweak to lock Explorer into memory. Was of questionable use. Little or no real benefit.

There are some OS`s, Linux based, that run from CD and memory.

#5 The Pugilist

The Pugilist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

yeah, i could imagine the time to start-up/shutdown would be greatly increased but i would think that having a whole o/s or maybe even just a program (a game for instance) loaded into memory could offer significant boosts in performance (once those resources had been loaded).

Edit: modified for clarity

Edited by The Pugilist, 13 January 2011 - 03:46 PM.

//Dave

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

Most games, depending on how they are written do load to memory. One of the reasons for ever increasing memory capacity and GPU abilities of video cards. This saves the routing of info\games through the CPU and mobo mounted memory.

#7 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

There are a number of ramdisk programs available, just google 'ramdisk'

#8 The Pugilist

The Pugilist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:47 AM

ThunderZ - You make a good point, although the reason for my query is only partly practical... mainly just an experiment though to examine performance differences between a so called 'ramdisk' setup and conventional ones.

666philb - this seems to be more along the lines of what i am looking for, are you aware of any good programs (preferably free). I'm not picky about what platform they are for either except for mac, as i do not own one :P

//Dave
//Dave

#9 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

My experiment with a ramdisk didn't work out, but then again i didn't try very hard:) . This is the one i tried....

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

Unfortunately it's restricted to 4gb in size for the free version.

But As you can see from the google results, there's quite a few other options, so if this doesn't work for you, try another.

p.s. The main reason i gave up so easily is because i already have an operating system that loads completely into ram, it's called Puppy Linux, and it is incredibly fast.

#10 The Pugilist

The Pugilist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

Ah, very interesting. In my stumbling through google I also had seen ramdisk but didn't know how legitimate it was. And 4GB should be sufficient for at least a few experiments at least. As for puppy linux that is interesting as well, i am going to have to download it and give it a try.
//Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users