Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A VERY frustrating problem that wont seem to fix

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MikeK24

MikeK24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Let me just say first that I am very glad to finally be a part of this forum! I have been able to solve issues in the past by simply reading many of the discussions I have found on the site.

However, I have now run into a problem that I cant figure out for the life of me. My problem is this: I have had WeatherBug installed on my computer for quite some time now. However, this program basically will not load at all no matter what I do. Moreover, I also can not get internet explorer or AIM to connect to the internet. IE basically just crashes every time I open it.

Furthermore, I can't open ComboFix as it says something along the lines of "AVG is blocking this program from opening". You see, I used to have AVG on my computer but replaced it with Avast.. However, that program is a NIGHTMARE to remove and apparently I havent gotten all aspects of it off (even though Ive tried every maual removal step possible).

So, that being said.. Does anyone know a way to fix my problem?? Thanks in advance!!

BTW- Im pretty tech-savvy and will be able to perform any operation I need to do to fix this.

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2011 - 03:06 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

My current setup:

Dell Inspiron 1520
Windows XP
Windows Service Pack 3
Avast Internet Security

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Well Mark its not going to cure your problem but I see your using Avast Internet Security and AVG anti-virus own come you don't use Avast?

The other thing is you can't run ComboFix because AVG is blocking it can't you disable AVG while you do the test you can with Avast? :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hi Mike & welcome to the forum!

Combofix is an extremely powerfull tool. I would advise you not to run it unless specifically requested to do so by someone from our Malware Response Team.

Sounds like you might be infected.

Download AVGremover from here and run it.
Reboot when prompted.

Then download, install, update and run MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware. Get the free versions of both. Start them both up concurrently and run the full scans with both. This could take a while so go kill some time while the scans are running. Remove all elements found.

If this does not take care of your issue let us know so that we can get your thread moved to our Malware Response Team. They are pretty busy so what I am suggesting may take care of things for you.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Uninstall avast

I would download avg again : avg
Install it, and make sure firewall is disabled before uninstalling it.
Uninstall avg, reboot.

See if you can get to your sites now, if so, reinstall avast.

I have only heard bad things about weatherbug ans aol. My opinion.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#6 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi Mike & welcome to the forum!

Combofix is an extremely powerfull tool. I would advise you not to run it unless specifically requested to do so by someone from our Malware Response Team.

Sounds like you might be infected.

Download AVGremover from here and run it.
Reboot when prompted.

Then download, install, update and run MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware. Get the free versions of both. Start them both up concurrently and run the full scans with both. This could take a while so go kill some time while the scans are running. Remove all elements found.

If this does not take care of your issue let us know so that we can get your thread moved to our Malware Response Team. They are pretty busy so what I am suggesting may take care of things for you.

Thanks for the response!

I actually already have MBAM and SAS on my system.. I ran MBAM a bit ago and found no results. I will try the AVG remover again, but I have had issues with that already.

I'll let you know what I find out!

#7 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Well Mark its not going to cure your problem but I see your using Avast Internet Security and AVG anti-virus own come you don't use Avast?

The other thing is you can't run ComboFix because AVG is blocking it can't you disable AVG while you do the test you can with Avast? :wink:

I've already gone through hours or removing AVG and ALL of it's registry entries- but apparently I cant find them all. AVG is a real problem when it comes to removal.. I wish I had never installed it at all.

However, if removing Avast will solve my problems then Im all for it.

#8 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Okay, just ran the AVG remover again and it did what it always does.. Warns me that it will remove it from my system, so I hit okay.

Then it seems to work normally for about 25 seconds, removing entries and whatnot.. Before it decides to close itself without any kind of message of completion.

#9 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Well here's a new one: I opened SuperAntiSpyware and tried to update it.

It says "There was an error trying to retrieve definitions. Make sure your firewall is not blocking SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE from accessing the internet."

However, I went to my Windows Firewall and SAS is listed under the exceptions. WTH??

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

That's why I figured reinstalling it to reconfigure it before uninstalling might be a help.
Guessing that Avgs firewall is still running and blocking everything.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 13 January 2011 - 02:53 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

I`m thinking Eyesee is right on the money about being infected.

If that is the case then it is very likely that the infection is blocking the update attempt. Not AVG.

Edited by ThunderZ, 13 January 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#12 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

That's why I figured reinstalling it to reconfigure it before uninstalling might be a help.

You may be right man... I really don't think Im infected to be honest with you, I just feel like AVG is still semi-active and clashing with Avast.

Since I cant even update SAS, I am going to take a chance and uninstall Avast.

#13 hudson.jo

hudson.jo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

I agree with this statement as i have had problems like this but with other programs and once i have installed the program i have removed before and then run its own remover tool all is well.
Try this link Avg remover select the one that is for your installation. Hope this helps

#14 MikeK24

MikeK24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I agree with this statement as i have had problems like this but with other programs and once i have installed the program i have removed before and then run its own remover tool all is well.
Try this link Avg remover select the one that is for your installation. Hope this helps

Thanks man- I am going to have to reinstall first, then remove again.. This is frustrating beyond belief.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Humor me and scan the system with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware just for fun.
I see a lot of infections that block programs from getting updates and cause IE to crash.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users